Gas Mileage Woes [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rdnkdrummer, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdnkdrummer

rdnkdrummer Rockstar

Hi y'all. I've only been on here a few days, and I'm loving the forum. After reading countless threads about many different issues, I'm beginning to think I'm not getting the mpg I should be getting with 2 of my 3 suburbans. The info is in my signature, but I'll give more detail here:

1995, 350 TBI, K1500, 265/70-16 Tires, 140,000 miles
    It has great jump torque off the line and runs great after 2500RPM, but VERY sluggish between 1500-2500RPM. Only had it a few months, haven't checked anything on it yet....just realized I'm only getting 11-12, even on the highway. I added a tornado and K&N filter, but no help. Another note, heat gauge never gets anywhere near 210 unless I'm pulling a trailer. I'm thinking possibly someone put in a HighPerf chip and low-temp stat? Or maybe therm went out and they just didn't replace it at all? Your thoughts?????

1989, 350 TBI, C1500, 31x10.5-15 Tires, 200+K miles
    This truck runs GREAT, but I can't seem to get over 13, even on the highway. I've had it about a year and a half, and it seems everyone else here is getting better mileage out of similar truck.

So.....either 90% of you guys are lying about your gas mileage:gasp:eek:r my trucks need help.

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Find out what gears you are running or what are your RPMs when you are at 60mph?

3. Bikeman

Bikeman Member

I only get 13 on the hwy, 12 city though mine is a 2500

4. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

My 99 with a 5.7 will get easily 18-20 on the highway (depending upon terrain). Only things I have ever done to accomplish are as follows:

• Delco Plugs gapped at .40
    • Premium Plug Wires
    • Regularly change distributor cap and rotor (once a year)
    • Tire pressure at 35 pounds always.
    • Got rid of factory muffler for free flowing system
    • I always use cruise control on highway
    • And even though we have 75 mph speed limits I still run 65 on the Interstate. Start going above 65 and the mileage goes to hell in a hurry
    --Joe

5. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

My '91 was somewhere around 13mpg.

My '98 is somewhere between 16 and 17mpg.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Gas Mileage Woes

Cooler thermastats will kill your gas mileage. Run what factory recommends. Also I agree with Evilnetwork keep it under 65 or under 2,000 rpms.

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 1998 2wd 1500 Suburban gets 21 mpg on the 3000 mile trip from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ and back.
    Of course, I keep my speed down-set the CC to 68 mph, and with all the road work and cities with 45/55 mph limits., I'm probably averaging just 62mph or so.
    Like others have said-speed kills mpg with a blocky vehicle like the Suburban.

It is dead stock with 210,00 miles-syn oil and syn lube in diff- 42 psi tires- use the CC all the time.

Your 1995 TBI should do better than 12-13 on the highway.Did it come with those 16" wheels" ? What sort of rpms do you turn at 60 mph? Don't waste your money on chips/CAI ETC. It is really hard to beat the OEM engineers for FE. No codes on the 1995- O2 sensors good etc?No check engine?

You should be able to get 15 mpg at 70 mph with the 1995.
    Charlie

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Evil's tuneup advice is good. Also, take a look at this thread.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25593

I had huge improvements in power, and FE increased also. Plus, the TBIs are notorious for the TB to intake gasket cracking and leaking. Another thing to consider with the age/mileage of the vehicle is O2 sensors. As they get older and more use, they can become "lazy" with feedback which will affect performance and FE. The tire size on the sub is OK, although 245/75 would have slightly less drag. The 31's on the 89 are probably a big factor on FE too.

9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

All good reccomendations. On my 87 K5 blazer w/5.7 TBI I installed a Helix TB spacer, Hypertec performance chip, and flipped the lid of my aircleaner over and performance gains and throttle response were like night and day. With the added performance came better fuel mileage as well.

10. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I haven't checked my mpg's in over a year. The last time I did it was 11mpg. My mileage sucks and I don't care. I don't drive it for its miles per gallon. I drive it cuz it hauls a lot of people, cargo, and it tows the pwc without any sweat. The only thing "green" about my burb is the paint!:lol:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.