1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gas problems

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by slim2, Apr 7, 2014.

1. slim2

slim2 New Member

I have a 1988 gmc sierra 3500 dump truck, with a 5.7 engine that does not want to rev up on a pull. Seems like not getting enough gas. I had put a new gas tank on and it ran great. I then purchased gas a few days later, and its been going down hill ever since. Dont know if the carburator has a filter built into it, or maybe i have an electrical problem. Truck just has no power. Anyone ever had that problem? Thanks for any help
  2. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

Did you check to see if possibly a rag or other material could be blocking the pickup in the tank?
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Carburetors usually have a filter, there is also a gas filter that may need to be changed.
  4. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I would see if the fuel pump is working both steady and that there isn't a leak internally, For that to happen, you oil level that appears on the dipstick would be unusually high, and of course, it would smell like gasoline.

I'm assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump and not a electric pump, Your truck isn't a fuel injected model is it ?
  5. kbonanny

kbonanny New Member

In 1988 they came with bot TBI (Throttle Body Injection) or a Quadrajet. If you let me know which one you have I can give you sound advice on what to look for. The other item that stands out is this..Does the truck have catalytic converter(s)???? If you have a cat (or more than 1), you may have a restricted exhaust!! Remember...an engine is little more than a large air compressor. The more air you can get in & out of it is directly related to the amount of power it will make. Your description of "lack of revs" screams exhaust restriction..... Though a lot of 1 tons were still exempt at that time. I need more information!
    1 person likes this.