Gas to Diesel Swap - Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Whitey79, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

coming up real soon im planning on swaping the 350 gas, 2WD automatic engine in my 2500 silverado to what i want to be duramax 4WD 6 speed allison trans...im looking for ideas and or tips on how to go about doing this...and sites or trans codes or anything would be greatly appriciated
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

What year is your truck?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

More details are needed here. Year/Make/Model/Configuration of your truck is a good place to start.
  4. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

1992 chevy silverado C2500 with the 350 Vortec and 5 speed auto trans, i wanna convert it to a K and do an engine swap from the 350 to a duramax with a manual allison trans, which duramax and trans should i be looking for, and any other tips or problems i may run into

p.s. joe im in the active duty air force too :p
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Vortec in a 92? Five speed auto? Interesting

Duramax, Allison, and add 4wd? I know there's a coolness factor to these kind of projects, but unless the parts are basically given to you, it will never pay. Remember you could wreck on the first trip out. Insurance is going to pay for a 92 Chevy pickup.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

i could wreck it anytime really, and chances are im gonna convert it to a K series first then start looking for the duramax and trans, does that sound like a bad project?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Nothing wrong with the project. I presume you intend to do a solid front axle? Might as well make it a D60 considering the Dmax and Allison in future plans.

Who put the Vortec, and presumably Allison, five speed in?
  8. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

yes with the axle, im not sure about the vortec, the owner before my dad owned it had it special ordered with the parts that it has on it, or the engine and trans really
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Converting a 2wd to a 4wd is no simple task. It takes a lot of work and precision, and figuring out what parts will do the job. I'm looking at doing a 4wd conversion on my suburban, but before I lift a wrench I'm going to have everything planned out perfectly. Things that can get you are things like how the lower suspension components are also the motor mounts, so you have to fabricate new motor mounts, the steering boxes are different, the spots to bolt spring hangers to will have to be measured and drilled, etc.
  10. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

as far as i know the holes for the front end leaf springs and axle (possibly) should be drilled already because of the fact that the truck was made to have 4WD because the frames are all made the same for those size trucks...at least thats what ive heard, and what part of the suspension is for the motor mounts?
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

I don't mean to be rude, but unless I missed something in your posts.......
    You are in WAAAAY over your head. Vortec engines didn't exist in 92. Five speed automatics were simply unheard of in 92, at least in GM trucks.

As for the frame/4wd conversion.......

4wd trucks in your generation were IFS - Independent Front Suspension. They use torsion bars rather than leaf springs. There are "bolt on" kits available to use pre-92 SFA leaf springs, but it's a major job. The holes are not there.

The axle doesn't even get bolted to the frame.
  12. pychokenny

pychokenny New Member

13. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Sweet :great:

I'm not active duty anymore though...... Been out a little over 2 years now.....
  14. pychokenny

pychokenny New Member

My couson just left for Cali. for 15 weeks of training with the Air Force
  15. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

well im going to look at junkyards around my area, find a 89-94 K2500 with a intact suspension, trailer the truck to my friends shop then see how its put together and tear the front axle or whatever it uses, transfer case, driveshafts, and whatever else it has, rebuild them, also buying new rotors, brake pads, upper and lower tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, the pitman and whatever the other thing was..i cant think of it right now, and go from there
  16. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Whitey79,

I'm old-59- but strictly new to Chevy trucks.My only Chevy truck is my 1998 Suburban 2wd 1500 I bought with 195,000 miles on it 3+ years ago.I only bought it because it was all I could afford($2950) and we needed something big to evacuate 3 adults, 2 dogs, and 4 cats in case of a hurricane(New Orleans suburb).

It has been a real winner, so I know why you love your truck- you just get attached to something that works so well, and can do everything, haul everything.

That said,I have noticed Chevy GM have a bewildering array of options/engines/trans all kinds of acronyms/letters LT/LS/LTI/BB/SB/SBC/TBI//VORTEC/TBI

There must be 5 or 6 different kinds of just 350/5.7 -
    early ones with carb /
    later ones with carbs and lots of pollution gadgets
    first electronic fuel injected ones without much in the way of sensors MAI and O2 telling them what to do.
    TBI fuel injected ones with fancy feedback from O2 sensors
    The VORTEC ones-like my 1998-with a fancier fuel injection than the TBI
    Much higher performance ones in Corvettes and Camaros and Firebirds

It is hard to keep straight.

You might find that it makes more sense to buy a wrecked 4x4 Duramax truck-maybe one with lots of body damage(a roll over maybe), but a more or less intact frame and suspension.Use your developing skills to build it the way you want.It will be really really hard to fit a big turbo diesel into your 1992.Same with the front end-so much fabricating-why not use your developing fabrication skills on a truck that already has the diesel in it.

I do understand the desire to tinker-so have at it.I keep thinking I can cut and raise the top of my Suburban to make it a better travel vehicle-stand upright in it-put in sink/toilet/bed.Then I look over at the Chevy vans..... Sometimes it just makes more sense with something closer to what you want-then go to work modifying/fixing.

Luck
    Charlie
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Good luck to the OP
  18. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member

Best advice ever!
    Not to put down the guys who want to convert. I remember wanting to convert my '87 c10 to a k10. It's just as rewarding to do the job using parts that are closer to the task than trying to play engineer, fabricator and builder.
  19. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member

20. henrys021500hd

henrys021500hd New Member

This may not apply to your year but in the 70's my buddy rolled his 4X4 pickup and he bought a 2WD cab and had to cut the floor out of the 2WD cab to clear the transfer case.