1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas to Diesel Swap - Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Whitey79, Jun 16, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

coming up real soon im planning on swaping the 350 gas, 2WD automatic engine in my 2500 silverado to what i want to be duramax 4WD 6 speed allison trans...im looking for ideas and or tips on how to go about doing this...and sites or trans codes or anything would be greatly appriciated
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member 100 Posts

What year is your truck?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

More details are needed here. Year/Make/Model/Configuration of your truck is a good place to start.
  4. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

1992 chevy silverado C2500 with the 350 Vortec and 5 speed auto trans, i wanna convert it to a K and do an engine swap from the 350 to a duramax with a manual allison trans, which duramax and trans should i be looking for, and any other tips or problems i may run into

p.s. joe im in the active duty air force too :p
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Vortec in a 92? Five speed auto? Interesting

Duramax, Allison, and add 4wd? I know there's a coolness factor to these kind of projects, but unless the parts are basically given to you, it will never pay. Remember you could wreck on the first trip out. Insurance is going to pay for a 92 Chevy pickup.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

i could wreck it anytime really, and chances are im gonna convert it to a K series first then start looking for the duramax and trans, does that sound like a bad project?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nothing wrong with the project. I presume you intend to do a solid front axle? Might as well make it a D60 considering the Dmax and Allison in future plans.

Who put the Vortec, and presumably Allison, five speed in?
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  8. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

yes with the axle, im not sure about the vortec, the owner before my dad owned it had it special ordered with the parts that it has on it, or the engine and trans really
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Converting a 2wd to a 4wd is no simple task. It takes a lot of work and precision, and figuring out what parts will do the job. I'm looking at doing a 4wd conversion on my suburban, but before I lift a wrench I'm going to have everything planned out perfectly. Things that can get you are things like how the lower suspension components are also the motor mounts, so you have to fabricate new motor mounts, the steering boxes are different, the spots to bolt spring hangers to will have to be measured and drilled, etc.
  10. Whitey79

Whitey79 New Member

as far as i know the holes for the front end leaf springs and axle (possibly) should be drilled already because of the fact that the truck was made to have 4WD because the frames are all made the same for those size trucks...at least thats what ive heard, and what part of the suspension is for the motor mounts?