Gas Troubles

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FrigginNoodles, Jun 25, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

Hey everyone,

So a while back I got a message "tighten gas cap", then a couple weeks later my CEL came on. I ran the code and got P0446. As of last week when fueling gas the pump kept turning off every 20 seconds when I wasn't close to full. The pumps at that station have always been touchy so I usually back the pump out 1/4" and it's fine, but not this time. The gas started to back up and overflow a small amount before I noticed.

Today I went to a different station and had the same exact problem with the pump stopping and the gas wanting to back up and overflow. I was able to stop it and let it settle, then pump more, then wait.

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong inside of the pipe going from the gas cap to the tank. I am not to mechanically savvy, so I really need some help in finding the problem. The truck is out of warranty. Money is tight and I am good with tools, so doing the labor myself is fine. Any suggestions on where to start would be great. Thanks in advance, you guys are the best.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its part of the EVAP system, a emission part. This seems to happen alot with our body style trucks. I replaced the valve near the fuel tank (I forget the parts proper name) and it lasted less than a year. Appearently dirt from the road plugs up the valve. I now just clear the code with my Diablo programmer. If you don't have a programmer just go to AutoZone and have them clear it. It may come on again soon and may not come on for several months.
  3. FrigginNoodles

Thanks for the response. I have cleared the code a couple of times, so unfortunately it looks like I will be replacing that valve. I'm trying to find the part w/o much luck. Anyone happen to know the part number?
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You may in fact need the valve, but before you buy one check the vent hose on the filler neck. If it's pinched/kinked/plugged it will act just like you're describing whenever you fill it cuz it can't vent fast enough & the fuel keeps backing up & shutting off the pump nozzle even when it's on the slowest feed.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

x2....on what Stephan has mentioned....checking the vent hose on the Filler Neck to make sure its not pinched/kinked and/or plugged.

The A/C Delco Part #.....for the VALVE ASM-EVAP CANISTER EMISSION PURGE SOL
    PART NUMBER.......214-1105
    Product Notes:
    [EVAP Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve]....Optional W/12573220

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

One thing I did with my vent was to get some, I think it was 5/8" hose for fuel and ran my vent up under the hood near the brake booster to help keep water and dirt out.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

check the hose, but the camaros had that same issue with the vent sensor (dont remember the exact name either) all I know is that on my cousin's camaro it was a pain in the @$$ to get to, but it fixed the problem. hopefully its easier on the truck.
  8. FrigginNoodles

Thanks for all the responses. I will check the vent hose this morning and will have some more time this weekend to look for any other problems and get it sorted out. I will be sure to let you all know how it turns out.