1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gas???

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 08bowtie, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 08bowtie

08bowtie New Member

Any truth to putting premium in the tank to gain a a :happy: little extra zip????? Or not worth the extra $$$$ for unleaded.:great:
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Every time I've tried it, it didn't make any difference. If the engine is designed for "reg.", that is what it is tuned for. Some of the "tuners" on the site should be able to tell you if they can tune it for premium. Good luck!
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

If I have my tuner set for the high performance tune and I don't use premium it spark knocks something terrible. Also I have found that I can use Shell mid grade and it will not spark knock either. I usually pay the few cents extra just for the insurance---never know when you'll need to light someone up!!!
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

gas??

If your truck was designed for 87 and your not using a tuner, than putting premium in is a waste. Do use a good quality 87 octane fuel not some fuel from a discount station.
  5. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork New Member

If your here in the mountains you use 85 ;)
  6. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

My short answer is essentially what silveradotrailblazer said: unless you've modified the engine to need higher octane fuel, there's no advantage to using higher octane fuel.

Octane number is not a measure of "energy" in gasoline. Octane number is merely a measure of how well gasoline resists "knocking" or "pinging." Pre-detonation can ruin an engine. GM's engineers decided that most people will buy the cheapest gas they can get (87 octane), so they designed the engine (timing curve, compression ratio, etc.) to not ping on 87 octane gas. (85 octane is used at higher altitude because the lower air density at higher elevation reduces the tendency to ping, and a lower octane can be used with the stock tune).

Someone like tattooed4life comes along and says, "I want better performance." A tuner says, "I can make the timing curve in your computer more 'aggressive/advanced' which will give you better performance. The more aggressive timing curve will also increase the tendency to predetonate. You will then need to buy the more expensive, higher octane gas to counter the increased tendency to ping." Someone like tattooed4life decides that performance is more important than cheap gas, so he accepts the tuners proposed modification.
  7. 08bowtie

08bowtie New Member

ok 10-4 will only use 87 :happy::lol:
  8. Waldo Castellanos

Waldo Castellanos New Member

hello

even with 93 octane my engine is pinging obviously with 87 it's a complete rattle

its very light with the 93 but you can still hear it, it does it with low idle accelaration:

dead stop acceleration, accelaration after a gear shift and the hard throttle acceleration

changed plugs went thru the whole 60 / 40 gap deal so its running ac delco iridiums at 40
    changed wires, fuel filter air filter

since its a 00 cant mess with the timing so i'm stumpped

thanks for the help in advance
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did not know this random factoid and appreciate its inclusion.