Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gasket only or use gasket maker?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crazeetxn, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

Howdy all -

My '86 (350) was leaking some oil pretty good so I figured I'd go after the timing chain cover and replace the gasket. Course that entails removing the water pump too. Got everything cleaned up, but I was wondering how I should go about putting it back together...

Should I just use the gaskets that come with it or just a gasket maker or both? If gasket maker, what do ya'll recommend for both the water pump and timing chain cover?

It looks like I used both when I put it together a few years ago. I used a red sealer last time. Don't know exactly where the oil leak was from, but I do know it was somewhere around the timing cover. Should've bought a new one back then, but...

Thanks for the advice!

Troy
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would use both.
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2, use a gasket, but you also need to use some kind of sealer/gasket cement to fill the irregularities in the timing cover. Also take a good look at the bolt holes in the timing cover. Are them compressed too much? They should be flat. If they have been overtightened in the past, you should flatten them out again so the sealing side (gasket side) of your cover is perfectly flat.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Personally, when I go to put something back together, if there's a gasket available for it, I just use the gasket with no RTV or other sealers. If the factory used just a gasket and no sealer, it's good to go.
  5. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

There's a good chance the old one was damaged at some point. Only had the truck about 6 yrs. Did a motor swap about 3 yrs ago...should've bought a new one then. I think I went with a "gasket maker/sealer" or something and gasket. Either got the wrong stuff or did it wrong...good chance it was a combo of both.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Dont take offense but YA'LL isnt a word and i hate the term (my favorite aunt lives in Texas and I love to give her crap about that word, especially since she was born and raised in Minnesota), personally I am with CRAWDADDY, do what the factory did. Just use the gasket by itself.
  7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Man your wound tight....i can't have typos and now your correcting grammer. Don't take offense, but your p.u.d.....google it.Either way..just the gasket or in combination with a product like rtv you can't go wrong.
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Lool Stoner, if dey eber ban us fur habin typos oar poour spellin den I'um skrewed :)
  9. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

Thanks for the info ya'll! I do believe I'm gonna just buy a new cover that comes with the seal installed and gaskets and just use them as is. If I only have to do this every 3 or 4 years then I reckon it's all good!!!