Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Mmarrocco, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. Mmarrocco

    Mmarrocco New Member

    What's the gasket between the engine block and transmission called?
    I have an oil leak coming from that area.
  2. MrShorty

    MrShorty Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Not sure which gasket you are referring to. There isn't a gasket between the block and the bellhousing.

    Can you tell if the oil is engine oil or transmission fluid? Transmission fluid leaks don't seem to be very common in that area on these, but you still want to be sure what you are looking at.

    If it's engine oil, the seals I would look at would be (not in any order) rear main seal, intake manifold gasket, distributor gasket, or valve cover gaskets. Rear main is probably the hardest to check, because you have to separate engine and transmission to get to it.
  3. Mmarrocco

    Mmarrocco New Member

    I think it's the rear main seal. How much will it cost to get it replaced?
  4. MrShorty

    MrShorty Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Not sure. Usually, the rear main seal itself is cheap. The bulk of the cost is labor, because you have to drop the transmission (or pull the engine) to get at the seal.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos