Gasoline smell?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by 08LT3Suburban, Jan 21, 2009.

1. 08LT3Suburban

08LT3Suburban New Member

We bought our son an '02 Tahoe LT 4X4 with the 5.3 as his first car and now the truck smells like gasoline?The grille area and driver side of the engine area is where the odor is at its worst.the exhaust and passenger side also have a faint gas odor.the truck is not leaking in the driveway and the inside doesn't smell while driving.there are no lights on in the dash and the truck is not smoking?it snowed here in NC yesterday and no one noticed the stench before the snow.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Two general sources of gasoline smell I can readily think of: Fuel system or EVAP system. If it were me, I'd probably locate the fuel lines and then do my best to trace them to see if they are leaking somewhere. Tracing the EVAP lines won't be as straightforward, because they carry gasoline vapors, and it's harder to see vapor leaks.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the charcoal canister is on the drivers side up by the radiator most likely, mine got that smell it came and went on its own and hasnt been back for 7 months now, sorry cant be of more help

4. jchutchinson

jchutchinson New Member

I had these symptoms on my 2000 Silverado. It is possible that the diaphragm has ruptured on your fuel pressure regulator. This will suck raw fuel through the engine, thus, increasing fuel consumption, produce a gas smell under the hood and a terrible exhaust odor.

5. mr_brixs

mr_brixs New Member

hey guys i just bought a 02 yukon and my engine light came on and the next day i kinda smell gas inside.. so me and my dad got it check and symptom that the mech find is my evap sensor.. mech said its not a major prob but when i'm going to get emission i have to fix it... hope this help