1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gauge appearance [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon New Member

Has anybody replaced the gauges or the gauge panel on the suburban? I have been looking at some of those flamed gauges cluster displays and billet kits the night activated color kits.

Just a little nervous about taking off all the gauge needles etc...
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Suburban Gagues

Changing the gagues in your suburban can be rather tricky. I've seen it done well. Lots of options for this sort of thing though, just wonder how accurate they are compared to OEM.
  3. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon New Member

I wasn't thinking so much about replacing the actual gauges so much as I was the "wallpaper" that get placed over them. There are a lot of vendors out selling the overlays for ~$100, different colors, night glow stuff flames, billet overlays etc....

Might be an inexpensive way to dress up the dash if its not to much pain to pull the gauge needles and drop these overlays in place and then reset the needle.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Oh, that might not be too big of a deal. The needle probably snaps on and off, like that of a clock perhaps.
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, it's pretty easy. They pull off, and press back on. The only hassle is that you need to move your gear selector around to get the cluster out.
  6. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon New Member

good to hear it, when I get some free time I'll have to look into it.
  7. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon New Member

Had that Dash off several times now, not to tough, wish the doorw were as easy.
  8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

What kind of look did you go for?
    Flames? Billet? Night Glow?
    or just scrap the whole thing and go digital????
  9. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon New Member

haven't actually done the replacement on the gauge cluster or face yet, the dash has been coming off for stereo tweaks and that fancy little pocket. Also for a vent replacement and a good cleaning. Gettiing to the gauge stuff though can't seem to make up my mind. I was thinking about using a plywood overly that would match the wood I use for the custom console..... we'll see when the console is done.
  10. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Be careful what you buy for this project... I went el-cheapo on one that I bought on Flea Bay. Turns out to need wired up to a 12V source for the blue lighting effects to work. I don't want a bunch of buttons and switches crapping up the dash.

Know what you are getting!!!

PS... Make a diagram of where the needles are pointing before you start instead of trying to remember where they were pointing on re-assembly.

Tom
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.