1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gauge bulb replacement

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by pmf608, Dec 5, 2008.

1. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2001 Silverado, and am planning to replace the stock bulbs in my gauge cluster with blue leds. I took the cluster out today and saw that it would be easy enough to do - just swap the old 194 bulbs for LED equivalents. The one problem I encountered is trying to pull the old bulb out of the littler-twist in sockets that are used. If anyone who has done this mod could help me out with this, that would be awesome.
  2. identityPRS

identityPRS Rockstar 100 Posts

im pretty sure the 194's just pull out. there probably just stuck a bit. if you just kind of "wiggle" them as you pull them out, they should come out.

i did the same mod to my 04, only i just wired them right in the circuit board in place of the stock ones. i dont have the 194's tho, mine were soldered in. check out this link, this is what it looks like all done. good luck!! http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12901
  3. pmf608

Sweet truck! I was thinking of doing my climate controls too, but it wouldnt come apart and i didnt want to break it (expensive part). Thanks for the post, when i get my LED's I'll have to try to pry those damn stock lights out of their sockets. It's time for a change. I have one burnt out on the edge and didnt even notice it:lol:
  4. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Alright, I have been wanting to do this for awhile. What kind of bulb did you use to replace the soldered in bulbs?
  5. identityPRS

i just used 1 volt LED's that i got at my job. the only thing is, you have to take the cluster apart, get a volt meter and measure the voltage at the factory bulbs. (i think mine was like 7.2) so then you have to put the proper resistors on every bulb so the 7 volts doesnt blow the 1 volt LEDs. i used .495 ohm resistors. i have had them in there for about 8 months now and so far so good! i think there is somewhere around 200 in there all across the dash including the power window and power mirror controls on each door.
  6. pmf608

I got my gauges done tonight - only issue I had was that they put the bulb terminal wires sideways and soldered them to the contacts. easy to work around though. It looks great and I love it - doesn't look as good as Cody's though. Pics and how-to write-up to come later.
  7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Kind of a hijack here, but does anyone with an OBS (mine is a '94) know if the buttons on the climate control unit are supposed to light up? My display lights up, but not the buttons.
  8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Nope, display only, would look nicer if they did though......

Jeff
  9. identityPRS

congrats man! this is a cool and fun mod to do. not many people do it either. so WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! good job. lets see some pics soon!
  10. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

200 leds...? :gasp: