1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gauge cluster issue!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Kady, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

So, Driving to work on the high way one day. Hit a huge bump, the gauges all flickers, and resumed normally. On the way home, on the other side of the high way, same huge bump... Threw my gauges off again! Couldn't figure out why, ended up just forgetting about it.. A few weeks later, it started happening more and more frequently... Every little pebble i drove over, the gauges would flash... Finally they've stopped all together. RPMs, Speed, oil pressure do nothing... Gas, and temp float in the middle, and the battery gauge twitches sorta... Tried changing out the gauge yesterday, does exactly the same thing! What else could this be? I had just put a new tranny in 2 months prior to the problem. Not sure if it had anything to do with, I'm just lost!!! My friend who helps me out working on my truck say its a possibility that its the body countrol module. I have some other silly things happen to it some times too.. I'll get out of the truck, click the door locks from the remote, and my headlights turn on.. Once in a while the light on the AC button, and the air button will stay on. And now (with a brand new battery) my battery is sometimes dead for no reason... Someone please help me and have some answers or suggestions, This truck is starting to get on my nerves. I've had nothing but problems since I've owned it.
  2. RegalBlack

RegalBlack New Member

Ive just joined this site for the same reason, recently the gauges on my 97 suburban have started doing the same thing.. all the gauges float or do something crazy while the cars is on, when I turn my headlights on at night the whole cluster goes dead. The only time I can read my fuel gauge is right after i pump some gas and turn the truck on. any help would be appreciated
  3. Thunderchild

Thunderchild New Member

Sounds like a short somewhere to me. You should have it checked by a competent mechanic or the dealer. Electrical problems can be a bear. Could even be a loose ground wire.
  4. Kady

Well, Right now, I have my cable for my obd2 plugged in, with out the scanner, because for some reason, it makes everything work perfectly... I'm just a little confused on why a short would basically "go away" if I plug the scanner in... It might be time for a new truck for me... I'm getting too frustrated.
  5. Kady

Have you tried a new cluster? They're notorious for cluster problems. I tried that first, but mine just happens to not be the cluster...
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It sounds like a lifted/dirty ground problem. Your diagnostic cable is making whatever connection is lost.
  7. Kady

Thanks, I just got done talking to someone about it.. and that's exactly what he said... now to try and figure out where!! Blahhhhkkkkk, I hate electical. Any pointer or tips?