gauge cluster issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by clgoch187, Nov 14, 2013.

1. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Has anyone else had trouble with the needles sticking on there gauges? Especially the tach and Speedo. My gauges have been doing this for a lil while now and its mostly the tach and Speedo going up and notcoming down when I slow down orwhen the trans shifts, so they read 120+ mph at idle or 7k rpm. The voltmeter did it ages times too and I was quick to get it home and throw a multimeter on to verify that iI wasn't cooking my battery, and my real worry is that its only a matter of time till the fuel gauge goes screwy too. And yes they needles have always made their way back to where they should be, even if it took ages days.....but a sticky needle and a few days of driving could leave me on the side of road out of gas.
    Anyways I've been considering the escalade cluster and was just wondering how common this issue is.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The Problem with your Gauges is the Stepper Motor's, for the those Gauges are Going Out/Bad, its a Common Problem, on the 2003" to 2006" Trucks/SUV's Dash Clusters......GM HAD A Special Coverage Adjustment for this Problem, but the Coverage was for 7-Yrs or 70,000 Miles.....from when the Vehicle went into Service,

I did not have this Problem with my dash cluster, but I went forward with Installing A Escalade Dash Cluster, in my Truck.

Edit:...here's some information regarding.....The
    Special Coverage Adjustment, GM Had on the Dash Cluster's,

Special Coverage Adjustment:

On November 7, 2008, the U.S. District Court in Seattle granted final approval of a class action settlement for owners and lessees of certain 2003 to 2005 General Motors vehicles with allegedly defective speedometers (also known as “console clusters”).
    Common symptoms include:

• Speedometer displays incorrectly
    • Speedometer stops working
    • Tachometer needle sticks, jumps, or pegs
    • Fuel gauge flutters
    • Entire instrument panel fails

...If your vehicle is within 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km) of the date it was first placed in service, GM must replace the instrument panel (parts and labor) for free.
    ....If your vehicle is between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) of the date it was first placed in service, GM must replace the instrument panel (parts) for free. Any labor costs will be the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
    ....If your vehicle is older than 7 years or over 80,000 miles, you no longer qualify for the special coverage adjustment and must seek alternative means of repair.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. clgoch187

They are pretty cheap on eBay. Has anyone bought these on eBay before? Good or bad experience? And is there show too on this? I can solder them in and recalibrate the cluster.
    Also if I do the swap would the message center work? And the newer ones (06 I think) have the oil life % , is that built I to the cluster like the trip ? My 03 doesn't have it

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

you must get the dash cluster repaired. you can find many internet servicing sites that do this. GM installed defective dash clusters in all of these vehicles. since GM considers the life of their vehicles 7 years 110,000miles you will not get any help from GM even though they know all of this is due to defective components not wear.

why you must get this repaired is odometer... you do not want this mile indicator changed. this can be a big problem...with the LAW.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can buy an escalade or ss cluster if you wish. As @J-cat mentioned the odometer is the issue. You just have to make sure that the company will program the new one with the proper mileage. Most make you sign an affidavit stating your correct mileage and then they will program the new one.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2 On what @Pikey has mentioned Above, which is what I did, when I installed the Escalade Dash Cluster in my Silverado....

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have bought one from a source that gave me a lifetime warranty.it was $12. there are places that sell complete kits, all new steppers and bulbs for around $70. Or you could send it somewhere and they rebuild it completely for $125. They also test and repair the internal power supply. I know of a place if you want the info pm me. Check out you tube for videos of people doing it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  8. clgoch187

I can reset the odometer at work, its no trouble and I save a few bucks doing it myself. But by replacing the stepper motors my odometer shouldnt be affected even with the odometer memory in the cluster. My question is by swapping the cluster for the ss or escalade or Denali, would the added features be functional or does it require a different ecm and harness?

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

Regarding....."the added features be functional"......the 99" to 07" NBS GMT800 Series/Model Sliverado's Sierra's 1/2 Tons, are/were Pre-Wired from the Factory, for the Transmission Temp Gauge that is in the Escalade/Denali Dash Cluster's, as my Silverado is a 99".....it does not have the Additional Features, that you've mentioned above, I would say that the Company's on E-Bay, that do the repair's on these Dash Clusters would be able answer that question, on the Additional Features being Functional.

10. clgoch187

But the trans temp gauge works without any other sensors, wiring ,etc?