1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Gear change question

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by beenurman, May 28, 2009.

1. beenurman

beenurman New Member

hey fellas newbie here. i have an 05 silvy 4 wheel drive with the 5.3 high output engine...and ive got a k and n CAI and aftermarket flowmaster and even have the hp tuners program and ever since i got the truck its always been pretty quick but will not break the tires loose for nothin. i recently found out that it has the dankest gear ratio possible for a truck ....3.42's. a buddy of mine has about the same truck with 4.10 gears in it and a stock everything and can burn rubber on demand. i was just basically wanting to throw this out there to any of you guys and see if it is that really high ratio that is killing my low-end get up and go. i got stuck pretty bad a while back in some deep quick sand type mud haha and in 4 high the truck just boggs down and does not want to turn the wheels. in fact i threw it in reverse and floored it and it barely moved the tires. I do have a winch and a bumper on the front of it and some 32 inch bf muds but it just dont have any balls down low. im thinking about going to a 4.10 or a 4.56 gear set and (i am aware that i will have to replace the front and back gears and i am VERY aware of the price of doing so haha) i just want to be able to pull out of somewhere and leave some rubbery trails on the asphalt. the engine runs great and the tranny is solid so i guess my main questions are 1) is the 3.42 gear ratio the culprit here? 2) would going to 4.10s or 4.56's help get some low end balls and torque and 3) would 4.10s or 4.56s be better for the most torque and acceleration? i do understand that going to a lower gear will raise highway rpms and possibly hurt milage etc......any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks bryan

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will get lots of opinions on which gears to use. If you want to burn rubber why not trying some smaller tires? LOL Just kidding.
    I will tell you this. Once you are stuck in the mud your differential ratio becomes a moot point.

if I had your truck I would keep the 3.42 axles as they work great on the pavement and go for some locking differentials. If you are really serious about low end power why not get a lower geared transfer case?

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site

4. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Welcome. See my post in the Tech section on the thread you posted there.

5. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i agree on the locker. No need to swap out everything and you can still get good mileage.