Gear ratio

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by stringbender, Feb 6, 2009.

1. stringbender

stringbender New Member

I have a 2003 Silverado Ext Cab with the 4.8L engine with a auto transmission and trying to find the gear ratio so that I can look up how much that I can tow.

Where do I find this info ? If this information is embeded in the VIN does anybody have a link to a decoder to give me this info ?

Or is this info on a metal tag on the truck somewhere ?

Thanks in advance

2. tex1121

tex1121 New Member

You can go to any Chevrolet dealership and tell them that you want a printout of everything on your vehicle. All you will have to do is give them the VIN. I did this a couple of weeks ago when I was getting ready to purchase my new truck. They didn't charge me anything to do this. The printout will tell you everything that you would want to know about your vehicle.

I hope that this helps you out.

3. EKperformance

EKperformance Member

in the glove box there is a sticker with codes on it, and on this site there is a list of those codes and what they mean. you will find the ratio in those codes, for ex- GT4 is 3.73:1

4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might also be able to find it on the door pillar. Mine says plain as day Axle : 3.79. If you can get your axle type do you need to know the capacity of your truck or are you good?

5. stringbender

stringbender New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info , that's all I need for now but stay tuned as I am sure there are more questions coming.