1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gear Ratios

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bkovacs, May 26, 2008.

1. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

ok now Im seriously thinking about changing gears in my truck, its a '99 K2500 suburban, Im pretty sure I have 3.73 gears in the rear end Im not exactly sure, but would it make really a noticable difference if I put in 4.10's? how much more fuel do you think I would use just in city driving? I know on the highway it would be alot worse.
  2. sierraman

sierraman Rockstar 100 Posts

it would be noticable, but not worth it going from 3.73 to 4.10, your gas milage will go down slightly on the highway but may increase in city
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have 410's on a 99 c2500 and I get 10-11 city 12-14 highway. Highway is no fun. :glasses:
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i agree i have 4.10 and the highway is not much fun going uphill. i dont think it will be worth it
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

that small change is not worth the "Bang for the Buck" factor question would be why do you want a gear change? towing? power? there are other ways go taller gears and an over drive will save the lost milage....mike
  6. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

yea basically I wanted to get a little more power for pulling.. if I changed heads and the intake do you think I would get tthe same power difference without sacrificing fuel economy?
  7. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

that will definitely give you more power prob 40 horse maybe more with new heads and intake. as for fuel economy i would think it would be a little better
  8. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

I guess I'll probably just do that then its probably less work considering I have to take the intake off anyway for my coolant leak.. and with a 4wd replacing gear ratios is twice the work of a 2wd :)
  9. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

headers, intake better flowing muffler would be best "Bang for the Buck" if you want more grunt for towing that list will help and be cheaper but you can do a Gear vendor overdrive and then regear to 4:56 or 4:88 and have the same milage you got now.....mike