1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gear reduction starter on 98 gmc 5.7 4x4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by five.fold, Aug 18, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. five.fold

five.fold New Member

i have a 1998 gmc sierra slt with a 5.7 and a gear reduction starter. my problem: the starter kicks out at times, just whines without engaging at times, works fine at other times. i have removed the starter, had it checked on machine at parts store and it says it is all good. i also took it apart, checked the brushes, gears, drive, etc, all seems to be good. flywheel teeth are all near perfect. could it be just a weak solenoid or is this a characteristic of this starter?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Weak Solenoid, is my bet... And did you shim it if it needed it?
  3. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like the jackshaft (middle spinny thing) is sticking maybe due to a weak solenoid or wear. If this was a "normal thing" on these starters, I don't think they'd still be selling them.