1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gear swapping...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Point_Doc, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Point_Doc

Point_Doc New Member

I have a '03 Silverado 2500HD with 4.10 gears. I would like better mpg by changing the gear to 3.73.

Would the cost be worth it?
    How difficult is this swap?
    Should I have a shop perform this?
    Any recommendations on where I should purchase the gear set from?
    Any other suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks,
    ~PD
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

gear swapping

Going from 4.10s to 3.73s is not going to help you MPGs. Its not a big enough change. If you go with 3.42s you will see a MPG gain at the cost of pulling power. If your truck is 4x4 your have to change both front and rear gears at a cost of anywhere from $1400.00 to $1800.00. Cut that cost about in have if you have a 4x2. You will have to decide if its worth it in the long run.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

If you do that you will drop about 150-200rpms at 65. If you do all highway driving it may help with economy a little (very litte)but not sure if it will be worth the cost. my 2500 came with 3.73 and did fine but you will have better towing with your 4.10's. the 4.10 will give you a better daily driver for overall performance. Aside from the 1200 + to change the gears the speedometer will also need to be adjusted. I understand trying to get the best fuel economy you can but not sure that would be the best way to go about it, these will only go so far in the economy category. best way is to be light on the throttle from a stop and dont go too fast. Also going too tall (numerically lower) is going to make your tranny and engine have to work harder to move, pausibly causing premature wear and expensive repairs. Just my .02
  4. Point_Doc

Point_Doc New Member

Thanks for the responses!!

This is my first Chevy...I have owned Mopar's for thirty-two years.

My truck is 4x2 and I do keep my foot out of the pedal. I have just started to monitor the mileage and at 13mpg, I should have bought a Hemi!! :lol:

The more I drive it the more it is growing on me, but thirteen? I know...:sign0023:

I have just started to use Ethos and I am hopeful for any improvement!!

Again a big THANKS..