1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gears: 4.10, 4.56 or 5.13

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Metaluzc, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I am thinking about upgrading the gears in my 2003 Silverado 2500HD with 35" tires but I am not sure which would be the best set-up, the 4.10, 4.56 or 5.13 set-up. I found a web-site that says the 4.10 ratio is best for gas mileage, the 4.56 ratio is closest to factory, and the 5.13 ratio has the most power. I understand that with the 35" tires, upgrading to anyone of those ratios will be better than keeping the stock 3.73 gears. I'm sure there are many others on here that have been in my shoes, so I'm trying to find out which is the best route to take. And not to sound like a complete idiot, but how many gears would I have to get? The reason I ask is because I found DANA 5.13 ring and pinion gears for $134 and both DANA 4.10 ring and pinion gears and DANA 4.56 ring pinion gears for $129 but the image shows just "one".
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

from the research i have done in the past, 4:56's are the most common choice for running 35's
  3. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

You will need two sets of gears( 1 Ring & 1 Pinion) front is a 9.25" IFS (AAM925) and the rear is a 14 Bolt 10.5" FF(AAM1050) plus Front & Rear install kits for the same Diffs. I would also agree that 4.56 would be you're best choice with 35's.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree...4.56.
  5. Metaluzc

Thanks. Any suggestions on brands and pricing to complete the full swap to 4.56 gears? I'm guessing the installation/labor is the pricey part if I am unable to do it myself?
  6. Jacqson

I'd go with Motive Gears and their Master Install kits. I'm using Motives and am very happy with them. Most Master Install kits are pretty much similar, just make sure they use Timken bearings.
  7. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I recommend Tru Trac...I got Yukon gears and have not had a problem.
  8. scrappiedew1

scrappiedew1 Rockstar

i had a buddy that raced his car in the quater mile he ran 5:13s wow they will give you a some get up and go, for milage the 3 73 but not ssure if they are good with 35 tires
  9. Jacqson

They'll work, but your highway speed is going to suck.
  10. Metaluzc

Can any "dummy" do this job at home if they have the right tools or how-to directions or is it easier to take your truck to a garage that can lift it up and do the work from underneath? I read another thread on this site and the guy said he paid close to $1600 for the full installation and I'm not too fond of that price considering I have high hopes for my truck in the future; power programmer, leveling kit, 6-CD radio, ram-air/cowl induction hood, would love a supercharger :).