1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gears

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by larryleeUSN, Jun 2, 2009.

1. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 06 silverado. single cab, it has a leveling kit on top of a 6 inch suspension on top of a 3 inch body lift. so around 11 inches all together. im currently running 35's . i know to small for the amound of lift. but im going to be putting some 37's on when i get back from deployment. i still have my stock 3:42 gears in there from when i bought it. its not to bad on driving around anymore but i wanna get a lil bit of that power back like it was when i left the lot 3 years ago. i am having my family put it in the shop for me so its ready when i get back. i was thinking about running 4:56's but the guy at the shop is recomending 4:88's. everything i ever read suggest 4:56's. my truck is a 4.8 with an automatic tranny. the tire and wheel combo im looking at are some black pro-comp alloys with 37 inch X- terrains. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

in my opinion 4.56 should be fine.thats what id go with.then again with 11ins of lift and 37s 4.88 may not be a bad idea.sombody else may be able to help you a little more.i was running 38s with about 10"s of lift on my f250 with 4.56 gears and never had a problem
  3. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks man. so your in the army or was in the army?
  4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yea still am.ive been in for about 2 1/2 years
  5. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

4.56's are going to compensate real well for the tires up to 37's. Anything bigger then you should look at 4.88s but you'll probably get the improvement you want power wise with the 4.56s.

-Greg
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4.88s are not only too low but also too weak. When you go that low in a small diff like you have the pinion gear ends up with 5 or 6 teeth. This becomes the weak point and if you do any serious off roading you will strip the teeth off the pinion gear.
    According to the charts going from a 31" tire to a 37" tire with a 3.42 axle you should change to 4.08. So a 4.10 is the recommended ratio and if you want a little more low end and a little less mileage 4.56 would be optimal.
    Here's a calculator if you want to check it out for yourself. Click Here
  7. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

ya 4.56s are a good choice, my buddy runs 4.56s in his 02 sierra and its a good combo.:great:
  8. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Look, I have basically the same set-up as you. 4.56s are perfect for 35" tires. If you decide to go to 37s, go with the 4.88s. I have the 5.3L, 35s and 4.56s. They are perfect. You have the 4.8L, you should really consider 4.88s since you have a smaller engine. Think about the long run...35s & 4.56s would be ok. You go to 37s, you are going to be right back down to a doggish start like you have now with your 3.42s. Believe me, I lived it just like you have. 4.88s FTW.
  9. drkbluZ71

drkbluZ71 New Member

Question?

i have an 07 Classic with a 5.3 with a Rancho Suspension lift and 35 in Super Swamper LTBs. if i was looking for better fuel milage would a 4.10 or a 4.56 gear ratio be more beneficial?
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you are looking for mileage only go with the 4.10 but you will probably be happier with the performance of the 4.56 gears with those big tires. 37" tires and gas mileage just don't mix very well. <G>