Gears

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by ChevyFan, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Does anyone have one of the optional gear packages?

The standard is 3.42:1 gears. With 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 each being optional (4.10:1 is not optional on V-8).

Just wondering if anyone has these "freeway gears" and how they like them.

2. frito

frito New Member

How can anyone tell what gears they have? I assume that I have the stock gears in my SUV, but how can I tell for sure?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

I have the 3.73 gears with the limited slip differential. The 3.42 should be a little better on gas mileage. The 3.73 should be a little quicker off the line, and a little better towing. Mileage should be reduced though. The 4.10 would be more so.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Does anyhow have any stats on the number of vehicles that get each of the gear packages? I would be interested in getting into one to see how it feels. We may be looking at getting a trailer later on and I'm curious how it handles.

5. Outlaw5.0

Outlaw5.0 New Member

My 2002 has the tow package and 3.73's. They seem to suck for acceleration due the torque management crap, the mileage is also crap. The 3.42's would be perfect if the torque management could be turned off or adjusted. My best highway is 21, normal city is around 15.

6. TB~Mike

TB~Mike New Member

Hello,

I've had my 2006 TB for 3 days now. I got the 3.73 rear end and it gets the job done. Off the line excelleration is pretty quick but once I get around 45mph its doggy until my RPM gets up higher. I have around 300 miles on it so far and I'm averaging 20mpg.

I just traded in a 2004 bonneville for the TB and the TB is an absolute dog compaired to the bonneville. Hills that I could normally climb at 55mph in OD with the bonneville the TB has to downshift on. This tells me that they have screwed up on the tranny ratio's or they need a 5speed tranny in this thing.

7. kendico

kendico New Member

I had 3.42, but just had them switched to 3.73. The 3.42 got about 1 mpg better in steady highway driving at 75 mph. The 3.73 helped accelleration and pulling power (I pull a 2200 lb. boat and a 2000 lb. enclosed trailer). Around town mileage is about the same. I average about 16 mpg with the I-6 engine in my 2006 model.