1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gen IV Vortec 5300 V-8

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by ChevyFan, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Does anyone have the Trailblazer EXT with the Gen IV Vortec 5300 V-8?

I'm interested in seeing what you think about it if you have it. How you like it, etc.
  2. ChevyFan

Just some facts about that engine. It's really something! :-O

It's got 300 horsepower and 330 lb.-ft. of torque, AND it has Displacement on Demand (DOD) technology which allows for the on-board computer to shut off unused cyls while driving if the load is light. I know that technology's been out for at least 20 years, but it looks like they're getting it right.
  3. Jimmy4X4

Jimmy4X4 New Member

I didn't opt for that engine. It's only got an extra 25 HP (although that's nearly 10% more HP), but it does have an extra 50 lb-ft of torque, which is really something if you ask me. Great for hauling stuff like a trailer or a boat.
  4. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak New Member

this is the engine that i have and i highly recommend it. i have not had any problems with it and it's got enough power to tow a 26' cabin cruizer boat no problem.
  5. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak New Member

Believe me the torque is the big issue when you want to tow something big.
  6. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge New Member

Thanks for the info. I need to tow a travel trailer. What weight can each engine carry? Anyone know?
  7. EnvoyFan2

EnvoyFan2 New Member

I have the 4.2L I-6. Wish I had a V-8. Thought about a transplant, but just too costly. The 5.3L in the Envoy Denali shorty is sooo sweet. I can really tell a difference, even though the Denali only had 50 miles on it when I drove it. Some owners don't care about power, but if you do, get a V-8.
  8. ChevyFan

To tell the truth, right now we're just looking to haul groceries and the little 6-month old monkey pictured to the left. We do plan on getting a small trailer, maybe a pop-up, so we can drive to New Mexico or Colorado and do some camping in the summer/fall. Right now, having the extra power isn't a necessity, BUT it's fun to be able to blow the doors of some smarty who's sitting in a dodge hemi durango. :)