1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Gen VI 454 ignition timing after overhaul

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by McMaster, Mar 26, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. McMaster

McMaster New Member

I'm in the middle of overhauling a 1996 gen VI 454 and I'm trying to figure the best way to set the ignition timing: Should I set it to #1 TDC on compression, stab the motor in, and then set the intake and distributer before rotating the motor; install the intake and distributer and set timing on the engine stand and then stab the motor; or something I haven't thought of. It doesn't look like there is much room for error as far as setting the timing.

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

ignition timing, i would say yes..TDC and then there is a mark on the distributer...close to the #1 wire pickup..thats where the finger should point ..!
    IMO, atleast on the 350s its that way and i do believe on the 454 as well !

3. McMaster

McMaster New Member

Thanks, DAREDEVIL.

4. McMaster

McMaster New Member

Just my luck - I had it 180 out.

5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You may already know this, but make sure that the Timing connector to the PCM is disconnected before you advance and set the timing.

6. McMaster

McMaster New Member

Let's say that I didn't know about disconnecting the timing to PCM connector - Which one is it?

7. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

single wire plug on the fire wall about /2 way to center from the drivers side

8. McMaster

McMaster New Member

Thanks guys.

9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

on a vortec u dont have to disconect it at all, u cant set the timing it will only work in 1 position.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011