1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

General Feedback on my 2008 Silverado

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by BBC4EVER, Sep 12, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. BBC4EVER

BBC4EVER New Member

A few minor things I would like bring up I find very annoying:

• Automatic Interior lights. The sun can be blinding me in the face and my truck thinks it's dark out. I cannot read the radio or climate controls b/c they are dimmed out b/c the sun isn't high enough for the sensor. I don't care about the exterior lights, but I want FULL control of the interior lights. This also includes the ability to turn them all the way down. Driving on dark country roads the instrument cluster in my silverado is way to bright. I'm 32 and have great vision and find it very annoying.
    Outside of that mostly happy with my interior. My headliner does rattle with the windows down from the dome light spot, doesn't look like there is anything I can do to fix it.

A few complaints I have:

• At approx. 45-50k miles my PCM went out. Luckily I wasn't far from home and it was covered under warranty. Cause unknown.
    • Had to replace the fuel tank evap valve on my truck at approx. 50k that has been a common problem with these trucks for over a decade. I do not top off my fuel tank, never have.
    • My front passenger side axle seal started leaking at 23k. Another very common problem for a long time on Chevy half tons. Why has this not been fixed? This is going to be a very expensive repair. Dealer would not fix at 23k (under warranty). It has almost 55k at this point and it's much worse and now they think it needs fixed?? I mostly drive this truck to and from work, it does not get used hard. I still have the original tires at 55k.
    • My auto climate control is starting not to work correctly. I have had to pull the fuse several times to reset it, or the temperature controls on the driver side get stuck on hot.
    • My 5.3l iron block, AFM, e85 motor uses a quart of oil every 3-4k miles. This should not happen, I have not owned a vehicle in a long time that has done this. Even my 1985 S-10 with 325k miles on it didn't use that much oil and I didn't run synthetic in it.
    I love my truck, but hate seeing the same issue get passed on from year to year without resolution. Now my warranty is out and my truck seems to be falling apart at 55k miles and like I said, it's basically a commuter vehicle in a mix of country/city driving.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

I would be happy to look into your concerns for you. Did you ever have a case with customer assistance. Please feel free to contact me privately with your case number or VIN and I will be able to take further steps. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You should be able to adjust this with "stick" knob by your headlight controls..;push it in and it pops out...turn to adjust...this is either day or night.

I havent had any of these problems with my 08. The ones I have had were covered under warranty, which is why you have one. I had some issues with power lock actuators going out after the warranty period.

If I had a issue within the warranty a dealer would not fix I would be contacting a different dealer. I certainly wouldnt drive it another 22K unfixed.

The climate control could be either the electrical switch(which it sounds like if the reset of the fuses fixes it) or even a actuator sticking. When you pull the fuses are you starting the truck with them out for a few seconds...then put them back in...also there are 2 fuses I believe....one under the hood and one on the drivers side dash panel.

No matter what brand of truck you buy there is ALWAYS that one guy that has every problem under the sun.....its the nature of the beast. Sometimes you have to ask the right question at the right place or person before ranting.
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like sstoner said, all makes and models will have some kind of issue. My '08 has been a great truck and what little things that have gone wrong the dealership fixed no questions asked. X2 on turning the knob counter clockwise that is in the middle of the fog light switch and the dome off switch.

About the driver side blowing hot that happens to me about once every 6 weeks. All I do is turn the truck off at the next stop light and fire her back up. Starts blowing cold air right away.
  5. BBC4EVER

BBC4EVER New Member

Guys, I appreciate the feedback, but the knob does not fix the interior lighting issue I am talking about. Once your auto headlights kick in, it automatically dims the interior lights. yes, you have some control, but it automatically kicks them down a notch and you cannot make them that bright again until the sensor senses more light. And in the opposite end, I can not completely dim them out at night or only down to a certain point.

Like I stated, I love my truck, really no issues to this point, but at 55k I shouldn't be having the same old problems that these trucks have had for a decade (leaking seal, evap valve). If I had a random issue, such as my PCM, I just chalk that up as an odd issue. These others I refer to are very very common on Chevy half tons.

I'm going to talk to my dealer next week to see what they'll do about the seal for me. I've kept an eye on it and it hadn't gotten much worse until recently, but it was leaking and they did not fix it. If they won't fix it, I will, but I am going to take my service paper with me where I stated it originally.
  6. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would day the switch for your dimmer is not working correctly. At night I can turn the dash lights completely off....during the day I can make them brighter if needed.

Also, the sensor on your dash simply triggers the headlights on or off...during the day out doesn't affect or regulate the interior lighting. During the day you van only see the that little light on your controls like on your ac knob...they won't be back lit like they are at night....that may be the dining your talking about.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  7. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member 100 Posts

I agree, the knob for turning the interior lights up or down seems to not work. I can turn mine completely off if I want too. Also i have heard that the 5.3 liter engines have a problem with burning oil every couple of thousand miles. That is why I am glad that I have the 4.8 liter even though I am missing a few extra horses.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Regarding your Engine Burning Oil......G.M./Chevy has a couple of Service Bulletin's that go into detail on why the All of their V-8 Engines have Oil Consumption between Oil Changes,

Below is one of those G.M./Chevy Service Bulletin's,
    Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-011E
    Date: December 18, 2008

Subject:.......Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines Models:
    1998-2009...GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn) 2003-2009 HUMMER H2
    2006-2009 HUMMER H3
    2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011D (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
    All Engines.....require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption,
    The accepted rate of Oil Consumption for Engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: Certain models have a new GM Extended Warranty. Please refer to the appropriate Owner's Manual for warranty information. This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.
    Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil Consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more. Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal Engine Oil Consumption.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011