1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

general grabber??

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by DutchTBI, Dec 12, 2007.

1. DutchTBI

DutchTBI New Member

I'm looking int a new set of rims and tires. I noticed General grabbers ( 285-50-20) are very affordable. Are they any good?
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

General's are junk. That big ole truck deserves better Michelin M/S's...Nothin' but the best. :great:
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

+1, I run michelin LTS M/S on my suburban, and absolutley love them. I've never known any other tire on my Sub, but I went from Firestones to Michelins on my car, and it DOES make a HUGE difference. Michelins are made from a softer rubber, so they are much softer and give a much smoother ride. You can definitley tell the difference. Plus, the tires last a long time, provided you aren't stupid and mistreat them.
  4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

GENERAL GRABBER AT2's ARE AWESOME! Great in mud snow and rain and are also a very soft tire for a lot less $ than the michelins.

Actually if you're talking about the less aggressive General tire I have no idea.
  5. DutchTBI

DutchTBI New Member

I was actually talking about the GENERAL GRABBER UHP

[​IMG]

Michelin is hard to get in big sizes in Europe
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just out of curiosity, do you know why Michelins are hard to find in Europe? I wouldn't think there's any type of embargo or anything going on that would prevent Europe from getting them...
  7. DutchTBI

DutchTBI New Member

Don't get me wrong. You can get Michelin over here, but mostly for european size cars.

American trucks are quite rare over here, and almost nobody has bigger wheels than the stock size. So big tires are also rare. The only affordable ones are general, Bridgestone, Toyo, Continental, Cooper and Pirelli.
  8. I had General Grabber AT tires on my Blazer for awhile.

If money is an issue, I'd say they'll do...

Back when I had that truck, they were the biggest tires Sam's Wholesale carried and I could find none anyplace cleaper in 32x11.50 if memory serves...
  9. PepboysASETech

PepboysASETech New Member

I know that the coopers are good tyres. Ive put them on many trucks at work and they wear well, providing you have a good alignment, and last long enough. Once you step up to anything larger than say 18" you are already taking a hit on ride quality so no matter what tyre you put on its not going to be as good as original.

Also Hankook makes a good 20" and above tyre. Check them out.:great:
  10. homer911

homer911 New Member 100 Posts

michelins are junk. i had a set on my 2001 dodge ram and i would get stuck on flat ground. They have no tracktion at all from my experance. But if u like to do smoke burn outs they leave some nice rubber on your rear quater panal...:rofl: