1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

General rant / 2014 Z71 skid plate

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by GeorgiaZ71, Dec 11, 2013.

1. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 New Member

Just a general quick complaint...I forgot to post up after doing my RC 2.5" level. I noticed on my 2014, my skid plate is plastic!!? My buddy who helped has a 2011 Z71 and after looking at his, his is metal. What the heck? Was this another cost savings to make skid plates out of plastic? Oh well, that was just a quick gripe...
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

They've used a plastic material for awhile. My '05 Envoy had one, my '09 Avalanche has one.

It's pretty tough, I think it will take a lot thumps.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

It likely saved weight to help increase MPGs while being cheaper to make.
  4. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 New Member

Thanks for the replies... I did a quick google search...and in fact they have been plastic for quite a few years. And I feel alot better after reading, apparently even Jeep has used plastic skid plates on their Wranglers. Whew! I was getting nervous there...
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I asked for mine that was suppose to be on my 2011 that was aluminum I think but apparently when the 6" lift was put on it has to be removed. Rocky Ridge must have a ton of them there or someone is selling them somewhere. I would like to fab one up to go back on with the lift.. My sticker shows I paid for it(z-71 package) I would think I am entitled to it.. How about buying a brand new truck like I did with the Rocky Ridge package and get a spare tire that wont work...17" spare stock tire = useless.
    My 2003 Escalade had a plastic one on it.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Also you gotta remember that 90% of those customers will NEVER go off road enough to even scratch the bottom of the trucks SO GM going cheap and saving weight is what they do.. I had one on my 88 S-10 blazer Even though I lifted it (2 1/2 Sup 3in Body) I was 4 wheeling it in some sand pits and came down hard on a mound and Ripped it a bit..(Also bent the frame) [​IMG]
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Id be beyond livid. That's something I look for when buying a vehicle. If the spare isn't right, that's a red flag that something else isn't going to be right
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

my truck has all aluminum skid plates.

Alex