General rant / 2014 Z71 skid plate

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by GeorgiaZ71, Dec 11, 2013.

1. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

Just a general quick complaint...I forgot to post up after doing my RC 2.5" level. I noticed on my 2014, my skid plate is plastic!!? My buddy who helped has a 2011 Z71 and after looking at his, his is metal. What the heck? Was this another cost savings to make skid plates out of plastic? Oh well, that was just a quick gripe...

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

They've used a plastic material for awhile. My '05 Envoy had one, my '09 Avalanche has one.

It's pretty tough, I think it will take a lot thumps.

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

It likely saved weight to help increase MPGs while being cheaper to make.

4. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

Thanks for the replies... I did a quick google search...and in fact they have been plastic for quite a few years. And I feel alot better after reading, apparently even Jeep has used plastic skid plates on their Wranglers. Whew! I was getting nervous there...

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I asked for mine that was suppose to be on my 2011 that was aluminum I think but apparently when the 6" lift was put on it has to be removed. Rocky Ridge must have a ton of them there or someone is selling them somewhere. I would like to fab one up to go back on with the lift.. My sticker shows I paid for it(z-71 package) I would think I am entitled to it.. How about buying a brand new truck like I did with the Rocky Ridge package and get a spare tire that wont work...17" spare stock tire = useless.
    My 2003 Escalade had a plastic one on it.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Also you gotta remember that 90% of those customers will NEVER go off road enough to even scratch the bottom of the trucks SO GM going cheap and saving weight is what they do.. I had one on my 88 S-10 blazer Even though I lifted it (2 1/2 Sup 3in Body) I was 4 wheeling it in some sand pits and came down hard on a mound and Ripped it a bit..(Also bent the frame) [​IMG]

7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Id be beyond livid. That's something I look for when buying a vehicle. If the spare isn't right, that's a red flag that something else isn't going to be right

8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my truck has all aluminum skid plates.

Alex