1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

georgia/florida super speed law

Discussion in 'GA - Georgia Boys Chevy Truck Club' started by 00chevy53, Nov 14, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

just curious to see what you all think about this and if anyones been issued a ticket for it....

2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I have never heard of this, as I am from Canada, and wonder what it is as my in-laws vacate Florida for about 3 or 4 months a year.---we hope to get down sometime, and was wondering if you could post what it was all about and others on this site might not know about it either.thanks from Ontario, Canada

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yeah X2 on what Silverhoby said. What is this "super speed law"? Is that where they take your car & license away from you forever if you're caught doing over 150 mph?

4. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

Subscribing... interested in more info.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I tried to find an official website from the state that explained the proposed "Super Speeder Law" heres the best I could find:
    http://blog.grahamsyfert.com/
    Essentially the new law adds to your fine if your caught going over 85mph on a 4 lane or wider highway or 75mph on a 2 lane roadway.
    I'm sure theres other stipulations in the law but these are the issues that seem to have everyone upset over the new law.

Personally I dont have an issue with this law because I feel if you violate the law be ready to pay, there is a posted speed limit and it's your responsibility to not only know it but to obey it.
    Yes I do occaisionally speed but as I get older I'm finding the speed violations I commit are lower than they were say 10 years ago, if I'm running 65-70 in a 60mph zone its a very rare day, I usually set the cruise at 64/65 and leave it at that.
    Once in a great while I'll run my bike as fast as 80+, but again I know the speed limit and if I get caught it's my fault.
    I've become a firm believer of leave the high speeds on the track where you and the other drivers are prepared for them.

6. anelson2390

anelson2390 New Member

i havent had a problem with this, but this probably is more of a regional thing than anything, when i say regional i truly mean small town vs city, I come from augusta ga but go to school in statesboro ga, there is a huge difference in the size between the two and of course the cops, for example in augusta( the bigger city for those who dont know) i have not ever been pulled over for speeding or a noise violation (as i run a large set of subs in my vehicles), statesboro on the other hand i have received 1 speeding ticket was around 150 i wanna say, and i have paid near 1000 dollars in noise violations, and i am very careful to play my music only in non residential areas...

7. Spogatz

Spogatz New Member

It's not a big deal really. Just don't fly down the road.

8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I never heard of this either, and i am with Spogatz on this...the cops here probably never heard of it ..lol

9. Off Duty

Off Duty New Member

Maybe this will help clarify things a bit:

Violation:
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...g=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.1926.html

Penalty:
    Penalties: (Specifically the last reference:316.1933(1);
    (5) Any infraction of... s.316.189 of exceeding the speed limit by 30 m.p.h)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0300-0399/0318/Sections/0318.19.html

Source:
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/0316ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2010&Title=%2D%3E2010%2D%3EChapter%20316

Also:
    http://hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/utc/APPENDIX_C.pdf
    (redacted for brevity)
    STATE OF FLORIDA​
    Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles​
    APPENDIX " C "​
    [See 318.19(3) Mandatory Hearing Required] ​
    M c 4 265 414
    (3) Improper stop School Bus
    (previously violation code 397) N m0 30 549

Effective October 1, 2009​
    , fines for (1)(a) and (1)(b) increased by $65 and completion of traffic
    school is required even if adjudication is withheld for any offenses in 316.172

NOTES: UNLAWFUL SPEED ​
    - Speeds in excess of 15 MPH of lawful /
    posted speed = 4 points. Unlawful speed resulting in a
    crash = 6 points

SPEEDING FINES:
    01-05 MPH over limit = Warning only - DO NOT ISSUE U.T.C.
    06-09 MPH over limit = $ 25.00
    10-14 MPH over limit = $100.00
    15-19 MPH over limit = $150.00 ​
    (effective 2/1/09)

20-29 MPH over limit = $175.00 ​
    (effective 2/1/09)

30 & above MPH over limit = $250.00*​
    Effective Oct. 1, 2006​
    , Mandatory Hearing when speed exceeds
    limit by 30 mph or more.

Effective Oct. 1, 2006​
    , Fine is doubled for second or subsequent
    conviction within 12 months when speed exceeds limit by 30 mph or
    more

NOTES: Speed must be reported if indicated by the officer.
    NOTES: Toll Zone - Speeding fines are doubled when posted.
    NOTES: Effective July 1, 2007, or before - for violations of 316.1893(5),
    add $50 to the above. 01-05 mph will be $50.
    Repealed 7/1/2010

NOTES: Effective Oct. 1, 2008, a new speeding violation can be written
    under 316.1926(2) for violators who exceed the speed limit in
    excess of 50 mph. * Fines for 1st offense is $1,000, 2nd offense
    is $2,500 and 3rd offense is $5,000.

I know it's a lot of reading, but maybe it'll help someone get it clear?
    All the best to everyone.
    Stay safe!

OD

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Don't go over 80 in ga I got one for 130 in 70, luckily I'm not in jail because of my amazing attorney,but 600 dollar ticket