1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Get Yourself Some Porch Lights!

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Crawdaddy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Bigmacnchez

Bigmacnchez Member

That sounds even better.
  2. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

So, I would like to run them from my light bar, facing back(obviously). So that I can see when I'm headed out to the deer stand. Any other ideas on placement?
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Underneath the bumper is always a nice spot that's where mine are. They are wired to a switch right now. Eventually getting them to turn on with my reverse lights since mine are useless
  4. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

Under the bumper freaks me out due to the risk of shaving them off while off-road. But without putting them on the bed rails or obstructing my cargo area it seems like the only logical spot. What do you know about running a secondary battery for toys like a winch, lights, cooler and a power inverter?
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Did you have any updated pics of this that are not on photobucket?
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'll work on getting some up direct-hosted. I'll also draw up my improved circuit and get it posted.

The reasoning for me putting them under my bumper is lack to put them anywhere else. I have a suburban, and I don't yet have a roof rack I can hang them off of. Besides, reverse lights are typically mounted low, and that's the primary function these serve for me: auxiliary reverse lights.
  7. Crawdaddy

Apologies for not getting pics up yet, but since most the whole setup has changed since I did this write-up, I'll get some new pics and post them. Still have to draw out the reverse-light trigger setup too.
  8. Crawdaddy

I completely forgot to take pictures of my latest setup today, but I just drew up the wiring diagram that will allow the lights to either get automatically turned on when in reverse, forced off, or forced on. I omitted fuses in the diagram, but any feed from a battery source should be fused. Here's the diagram:

[​IMG]

The single-pole, dual-throw switch (SPDT) is key to this setup. I use it in reverse of the typical usage by using the common to feed the positive side of the coil and the 2 switched legs as my source. If you want to set it up as ground-switched, swap the battery-fed leg of the SPDT switch to the ground and put the other side of the relay coil (85) to positive battery and the reverse switch input to a ground-switched reverse switch.
  9. Crawdaddy

I took a couple pics of my new setup. The switch and relay are still not hooked up right or mounted where I want it, but I haven't gotten around to fixing it right. I swapped the lights out for a smaller pair of driving lights I got from Walmart for somewhere between $20-30. They work much better and are smaller to make it easier to hit or knock them so they don't get misaimed. They're about as tall as the trailer hitch, so if they get knocked, I'm dragging the hitch.

Here they are:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Switch just hanging off the center console:
    [​IMG]

Relay under the hood; I still haven't put in a fuse holder yet, so the main feed is not connected right now:
    [​IMG]

I hope to upgrade my wiring with some nice fuse and relay blocks in the future, so it'll look better then. I'll also be putting the switch where the factory radio goes.
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've been thinking about cutting out holes in the rear bumper of my new truck for a set of reverse lights, it's already real low and after launching my boat a few times I noticed the bottom edge goes in the water at times, and I'd rather not dunk the lights while launching.
    My old truck had a light bar/high lift jack rack behind the tool box facing the back so the lights were high enough to give a good pattern.