Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gettin smoked?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by tsansone22, Feb 10, 2010.

1. tsansone22

tsansone22 New Member

Hi, my name is Tony and I'm new to the Forum. Me and my cousin race all the time and he just smokes me. I'm tired of it. I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 ext. cab. with the 5.3L Vortec, and he has a 2008 Dodge Ram ext. cab with the 5.7L Hemi. I just recently added Flowmasters and a K/N cold air intake. I was wondering what else I could do to be able to hang with him? No matter how good of a jump I get on him he just smokes me. It's embarassing, and all I want is to win just once. Dodge's are the biggest piece of crap, but they do have some HP.
  2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I tell you what there good buddy get you a custom tune from wait4meperformance. If you really wanna go all out install a hot cam and stall. The put you about a 50 shot of nitrous on there. This will get the job done. He has got you by prolly 30 hp rite now. Does he have a tune or ne thing like that.
  3. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

what's your budget?
  4. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Oh man!!!!!! Where do I start??? Yeah, what is your budget first?
  5. Big75

Big75 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

If we're talking about nitros, a tuner and a cam - $$$$$$$$
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You're not just comparing apples to oranges here.
    First of all he's got no apparent holes in his hp/torque, because he's likely running a 6spd auto trans, and you would likely have a 4spd auto(correct me if I'm wrong). You're probably also running a 3.73 rear, where he's probably got a 4.10 or similar.

What can you tell us about his setup? And complete details on yours too.
    We could throw ideas at you and toss around budget figures all day, but better if we know how to defeat his obvious edge.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your 2001 has a stock rating of 285hp and his 08 5.7 depending on what gen it is is either 345hp or 380hp (not to mention the 7 years of use you already have on your truck). so at the least you are at a 60hp disadvantage. your CAI and exhaust is only gonna get you 15hp together. A custom tune MAY get you closer but still gonna be hard to get past him. your are most likely at a bigger disadvantage in the rear-end department as well. Really you are gonna have to do some internal work. A cam, headers and full exhaust would be a good start. I would stay away from the NOS. as that is gonna push your tranny to its limits, i would at the least get a shift kit or go to a 4l80E and a shift kit, this will at least let your numbers go up (HP & TQ)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

We need a budget!!!!!!!!! Come on man, help me, help you molest a Dodge, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
  9. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Have tsansone22 paint his truck like TYMBOM's, race the cousin a couple more times, than swap trucks out! The cousin won't bother him again.
  10. tsansone22

tsansone22 New Member

My budget is no more than $1500 dollars. I'm thinking about buying a JET power programmer, but I don't know if that will do me any good or not. There is nothing special about his truck, he just has a straight 5.7L Hemi with a K/N air filter. I don't care what it takes, but I'm not going to let that piece of crap Dodge have dominion over my Chevy