Getting a lot of Flat Tires ~ 2009 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gpeterson1968, Jun 20, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. gpeterson1968

gpeterson1968 New Member

Does anyone else's suburban seem to get a lot of flat tires. My 2009 seems to be getting a lot of them. I have had three so far.
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What brand tires do have on there right now?

What are your driving conditions? Lots of gravel roads, lots of construction zones, etc?

What kinds of flats are they? Small holes in the tread that are repairable or holes in the sidewalls?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I got a bunch all in series a couple of times. Seems when the tires are maybe like 50% tread life left ... and when there is a lot of road work and/or new building construction going on then I tended to get more flats.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Probably a lot of demolition construction where you drive-near dump maybe?? same route as route to construction debris dump?
    I have PLENTY of flats
    More-many more-in Prius-maybe 3-4 per year
    but also maybe 1 per year in Suburban.
    90% of the time I find either a SCREW or a roofing nail
    Oddly probably 4 screws to every nail??
    Oddest thing but screws are worse than nails??
    We-suburb of New orleans- have lots of construction-demolition
    and lots of sh$t for brains idiots hauling crap to dump in uncovered pickups-
    year boards junk-hanging over sides back-bouncing crap onto roads
    On the bright side-plugs seem to work fine.
    Now I know folks says "plugs are dangerous" and of course a PLUGGED tire-not as safe as an unplugged tire
    But a new tire-maybe $150 installed
    an inside patch plug is maybe $40+- and we can't afford that-so I plug them- keep my speed down
    trucks aren't really meant to drive fast-so no big deal.
    The Suburban will never see 80 mph-rarely sees 70 mph-
    Prius-sure as heckdoesn't need to do 80 mph either.
    If I had all the $$ in the world-I wouldn't plug or patch a flat-I would replace it
    charlie
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I guess some people just have worse luck than others. :glasses: I've had my truck for 12 years and am now on my 5th set of tires and I have only had 2 flats, total, across the life of the truck. My first came about year after I got the truck and it was in one of the OE Goodyear Wranglers. My last flat was about 3 years ago, right after I started working at Discount Tire. That flat was in a worn out Yokohama Geolandar.

@phoebeisis Plugs (or that green fix-a-flat goo) do not work all that well. In my 2.5 years with Discount Tire, I have seen plenty. Plugs are nothing more than temporary fixes so you can get to a tire shop. If a tire is repairable, the hole will plugged and then patched over from the inside. Industry standards say you can fix a tire 3 or 4 times and it's still good. But as for the cheap plug kits you buy off the shelf, and especially the liquid crap, they are absolutely useless.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I think screws are worst than nails because of the way they are shaped. There is a spiral channel by which the air can escape vs. a nail where the side of the nail is mostly a cylinder shape so there is less room for the air to get out.

Nail-Screw-3.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  7. phoebeisis

Steve
    Right-makes sense.
    Plus I suspect that you can throw a nail before it gets fully thru the tire
    screws-once they get it-a little they "hold on" because of the darn threads.
    Yeah-the screw leaks-do seem to leak faster-nails leaks are slower now that you mention it.
    MiClintoc
    I very rarely use the blow in liquid-I carry it in my truck-emergencies on road-but it degrades over time-and tire shop folks seem to hate it-and not sure how the pressure sensors on the Prius would "like it"

Now plug plugs?? Have been used for 40 years?? Used to be you coated them with glue-airplane glue smelling glue-rammed them in -fibrous plugs bent double-maybe 3" long??-Now they are usually dry-and harder to jam in because of that.
    Pull out-cut off excess??
    Literally have been used for 40 years?? Of course they aren't as good as taking it off-patching backside-putting it back on-but you guys charge $30-to do that-costs me $1 to plug a tire with a plug.For the sort of low speed city driving I do-with several flats a year-and why spend $30 on a $30 tire that is 75% worn out anyway.
    $$$-

You tire guys hate them-because of the DIY aspect-can't make any $$ on it. Sure your inside patch is better-but a NEW UNPUNCTURED TIRE is even better than your patch.
    Always safety vs $$ if you are broke-safety takes a backseat.

Plugs-old fashioned plugs-work-and have worked for 40 years.
    If safety is primary concern-new tire is best.
  8. 1luckyguy

1luckyguy New Member

Is it the rims? I had that problem the aluminum becomes pitted
  9. McClintoc

If installed properly (ie. w/ glue and w/o making the hole bigger) then yes, the plugs should work, but they don't. I've seen plenty to know. And, as a "tire guy", I don't hate plugs because of the DIY aspect. I hate them because they don't work! And it's not a loss of revenue that makes me hate them either - Discount Tire fixes flats for free; even it's not a tire they sold. So, DTC doesn't lose any money just because someone fixes their own flat. Actually, DTC makes money from people fixing their own because the person usually ruins their tire and has to get a new one.
  10. phoebeisis

McClintoc

You guys fix flats free?? Wow-nothing like that around here-but maybe I should check SAMs tire deal-I think that is just road hazard ??

Don't enlarge the hole?? The instructions always say to run the rasp thru 1st-to get loose bits out I guess-
    do you mean be careful with the rasp-no sawing back and forth-or just don't use it?
    I yeah-I use glue-even on the plugs that are not supposed to need glue-do it because the plugs are too hard to insert with the glue lubricating them.
    Over the years I have probably plugged tires 30 times-
    I do remember one hole that was so large it continued to leak a little even plugged-had a huge screw in it.