1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting a lot of Flat Tires ~ 2009 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gpeterson1968, Jun 20, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yup, DTC offers a lot of free services: flat repairs and air checks for anyone and rotations and rebalance for those that purchased tires from them. As for the plugs, the real issue is people not knowing how to use them properly. [MENTION=12380]phoebeisis[/MENTION] it sounds like you are one of the few people that does know how to use them properly. Rasp it just a couple of times then use glue. Most people probably rasp the hell out of it and bore out the hole until it's too big.
  2. gpeterson1968

gpeterson1968 New Member

Sorry I have abandoned this thread. I had Goodyear wrangler st. Replaced with wrangler at-s.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I worked in a garage for 6 years. We plugged and "plug patched" tires. It was a patch with a plug sticking out of it. I never saw a car come back because a plug was leaking! We did use a vulcanizing glue that was supposed to melt the plug to the tire. But, for years I used those crappy stranded plugs on my Dad's vehicles with no issues. I used to carry a plug kit in my truck in case of emergency. I had a large piece of glass cut deep into the shoulder of a 36" dick cepek tire. It was almost on the sidewall and between the treads. I was in a not so nice area of Detroit at the time and needed to get out because the sun had just gone down. I had to stick 5 plugs (with no glue) in the gash that was created by the glass. To my surprise it stopped leaking. I could not afford new tires at the time so the plugs stayed in. That tire was like that for 2 years, no leaks! Saying that plugs do not work is in my opinion incorrect. It is crazy to me the differing opinions between tire shops. I can go to discount and they tell me one thing. Then I go to a full service tire store (one with ASE certified techs that do alignments, brakes, and major auto repair also) and they tell me something different. I tend to trust the full service place more as the Discount tires near me are all high school kids working with one manager that is in his 20's. I am not saying that all discounts are like that, but the 4 or 5 in my area are. When working in the garage and taking classes offered by a few tire manufactures and tire repair companies, we were told that the biggest issue with a plug is running the rasp in. Not that it makes the hole too big, But that it can actually damage the belts inside the tire. But, saying that they do not work is just wrong. How have they been around for 40+ years if they do not work? Good marketing? I think not. Are they the best fix? No.
  4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i have a plug in one of my tires right now, been there for 9 months easy, no leaking. I do keep an eye on it, and I have tires waiting to go on the truck the next oil change, but ive never had issues with plugs. done proper, they work fine.

Alex
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pikey
    Hey that makes sense-so the rasp can literally cut thru the steel belts and those non steel fibers?
    I don't think that ever occurred to me
    Makes plenty of sense
    Now I have had good luck with plugs
    But did find that the "no glue" plugs were nearly impossible to insert
    And I have had my son slowly drive forward or back while holding the patch tool in place- literally forcing the patch in -VERY DANGEROUSLY -but was broke so no choice-
    Yeah he could run over my hand
    Now I use glue even with the glueless ones

I will be really careful with the rasp-
    I probably have inserted 50-70 plugs over the years-the work great-I did insert a double plug once-huge hole- it slowed the leak a lot- but it still leaked from somewhere
    Thanks Pikey-makes sense - rasp damages the fibers or steel wire that hold tire together-
    This almost certainly was what McClintoc was telling me-but I only caught the "make the hole too big aspect" of what he was cautioning me