Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Getting a Shop/Shed!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last weekend I put the down payment down on a shed. It's a 14x28 Graceland Portable Garage shed. Here's a link to it: http://gracelandportablebuildings.com/portable_garage.htm . It's a pretty nice shed, and is solid. However, it's just a shell, my job is to finish the inside. So here's the gameplan.... I'm going to separate it into 2 separate rooms, first, the shop area, where all my tools will be. Second, there's going to be an air-conditioned back room where I will store non-automotive stuff that won't fit in the house. The back room will be either 8 or 12 feet deep to accommodate all my junk with the remainder going to the shop. With the need to finish the building's interior myself, there's some questions I need to answer that frankly I'm having trouble answering.

Cooling:

Down South, it's HOT year-round. So, my storage needs to be cooled, that's non-negotiable. My issue is how am I going to cool it. I was originally going to get a through-the-wall A/C unit, frame a hole in the wall for it, cut the hole out and install it. But, I'd rather not put a huge gaping hole in the wall just to have the window unit go out a few years down the road and have to resize the hole for whatever air conditioner I can find at that point. Then, I discovered the world of split-unit systems. Here's a link to the one I was considering: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 . Using a split unit system, I only have to drill a 3" hole in the wall to run the lines through. Much more hole-friendly. My question, is how well do these split systems work? I've seen them in a couple local restaurants, but didn't know whether they were put there to supplement an existing a/c system or running solely off them. Do they cool well? The split-unit would cost about double what a regular through-the-wall would cost me, but I like the install and aesthetic advantages.

Wall Covering:

I'm not sure where I want to go with this. I'm going to need either sheetrock or plywood on the walls in both the storage and shop areas, but I don't know which way I want to go. I've never sheetrocked before, so I don't know how hard it is to hang and cut holes in, etc. For that matter, I've never hung plywood on a wall either. I'm a total noob in this area. Suggestions?

Flooring:

The shed has a plywood floor, but I'd like to cover it up with something nicer, more durable, and spill/stain resistent. For the storage area, I was thinking of simple linoleum or peel-n-stick tiles, but I think it'd look kind of tacky. Ceramic tile would cost a lot to buy and install, and probably wouldn't stand up to dropping stuff on it. For the shop, I was thinking maybe some sort of epoxy coating similar to what would be put on a concrete shop floor. Again, suggestions?

Thanks guys, I'm so excited to get this shed!

Garage.jpg Garage_open.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, that's awesome. Congrats. :party::party::party::party::party:

3. Crawdaddy

Thanks for adding the pics in Steve. Did we lose the tools/garage sub-forum? Also, no suggestions on what to do?

4. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Nice! I wish I had room for something like that.

5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

It is just a bigger dog house if the wifey gets mad. Lol.
    Suggest that rubber tile flooring that they use in gyms. Looks good and stuff bounces better, like dropped tools.
    Dropped tools on linoleum just damages linoleum .
    Go look at some "man cave" episodes as they used some trick stuff that was durable and good looking.

6. Crawdaddy

7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've been thinking of using that same stuff on my garage floor. Of course, that would mean that I would have to remove everything in my garage, which would suck...

Congrats on your shed/shop! My garage is my favorite place! It's actually where I am right meow.

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

If you go the sheetrock route make sure you get the paperless kind. The reason is it won't mold. They also sell "green board" it is also supposed to be mold resistant. I would recommend these products in the garage because if you hose out the area the sheet rock will get wet and wick up the wall a bit. And as to your question about hanging it, it is easy. It may be a two man job simply for the size of the sheet rock you use. They sell a sheet rock saw (small hand saw with teeth on both sides) or if you have a Roto Zip you can use that to cut the holes. If you are going to run power out there make sure you do it before you hang the rock. Add more than you think you are going to need. It is better to have to much than find out once you are done that you didn't put enough out there.
    Go with the mini split. It is similar to the A/C system that is used in the south. If it needs to be serviced it is done the same as central air.
    Race Deck makes a good product if you are looking to go the rubber tile route. I have heard the ones from sams tend to crack because the support on the back side of the tile leaves a lot to be desired. I had a shed about the size of yours and when I ordered it they offered a plywood floor that had an oil/grease resistant coating on it. If I was to get another one I would look into something like that. I do my mechanical work on the truck and bike in the garage, but would store the bike in the shed. Harley's love to mark their territory.
    Good luck and congrats on the new shed.

9. BReeves

BReeves New Member

Go to your local lumber yard and look at OSB, it is the chip board they use for roof underlay and flooring underlay. I covered my garage walls with it and it has worked out great. Stronger than sheet rock and doesn't cost that much more, you can put nails or hooks in it to hang stuff and it is somewhat moisture proof.

I have a window AC unit in a hole in the wall because it was free and it works. Could be wrong but believe they have more or less standardized the case sizes in the last several years and the worry about replacements isn't as much of a problem as it use to be.

Nice building, you will enjoy it..

10. Crawdaddy

Hmm, I didn't know they'd standardized the sizes, but now that I think about it, I have seen pretty standard sizes. I think I'm still going to try out a split unit for the smaller hole in the outside wall and inside wall space. A window unit means that's less wallspace available for shelving. The split unit goes high on the wall, so I can put it above the door.

I was thinking about using some sort of epoxy coating on the floor. Seems it would be strong and spill-resistant. Of course I'm looking for the cheapest method, but I also want it to be strong, durable, and easy to clean. Anyone have any thoughts on it?