1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting a Shop/Shed!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Beer fridge? I know of a man cave that converted a 55 gal drum into a 55 gal keg. Placed it in an industrial cooler and then had a bar tap out one side and a bar on the other. Trying to get a friend to take and send a picture, it is cool even though I don't drink.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sorry guys; I don't drink, so no beer fridge. Soft drink fridge, maybe. :) As for lighting, I want there to be plenty so I'm not straining to see any details, though I may scale back the number of fixtures from what I previously said; I'll have to feel that one out as I install the fixtures.

This morning, I made a pretty successful building supply run. I hooked up the box trailer to the Suburban and hauled over to the local Home Depot. There I met a friend of mine to help me shop and pick up heavy stuff. So, here's what $925 worth of building supplies looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That shown, the inventory of what I picked up was 25 sheets of drywall, 11 studs, 2 2x4x10s, an exterior insulated steel door, 3 bags of R-13 insulation to go in the walls, 4 bags of R-30 to go in the attic, 100 foot of 12/2 romex, 28 nail-in boxes, romex staples, 90 minute drywall mud, and probably a couple things I forgot. Why the exterior door when it's being used in an interior setting? For the insulating properties of it. I don't want any precious air-conditioning leaking out of the room. Speaking of, I didn't buy the a/c yet, and that's gonna cost $900 by itself. I also haven't bought the electrical panel because I didn't see the panel I wanted on the shelf. But, I think I have enough materials to make significant progress on the project. I am also fairly confident I bought most if not all the big stuff I need the trailer for. I should be able to get most everything else in my car as I need them.

Hopefully I'll start framing the wall Monday evening when I have some help. I'm on my way!
  3. Coach24

Wow Home Depot cost have increased. I did not see any foam spray to seal all the cracks where the a/c will definitely find an escape route. As will rodents.
    Looks like your weekends are planned out for a month or so..Will you be putting vents in the eaves or on the roof to help heat escape? I have two power ventilatos on the roof of my garage and in the summer they can change the internal temps as much as 20 degrees within an hour. Unfortunately i have no A/C in my garage and won't have in the near future.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I probably should pick a couple cans of Great Stuf up for insulating around the door, I hadn't thought about that. The building came with soffits and a ridge vent, that should handle attic venting adequately.

As for rodentia, I was considering getting some thin steel plate and lining the lower 12 inches or so of wall in the stud cavities with the steel. Any thoughts on that? I don't know how much metal is enough to stop a rodent from easily chewing through.
  5. Coach24

I wouldn't waste money on steel .Just fill as many gaps as you can find and then set a couple traps for those who don' understand
  6. Crawdaddy

It's official, I HAVE A WALL!! With the help of a couple friends and 4 hours of labor, and I have one wall that is well fitting and well made. The hole for the door is roughed in, but we still need to build the header for it and attach it. Here's a couple pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't think building a wall was as tough and detailed as it was, but it was. We had to custom-measure each stud height because the shed apparently isn't square. That's gonna mean more fun later on.

So, next is electrical rough-in, insulation, then drywall. I'm making progress!
  7. Coach24

Attabot, keep going. You might want to let the shed maker know what you found, out of square.
  8. Crawdaddy

The door was in square when the installed the shed. I think it's either related to the cold or the addition of the wall. I'll get it sorted out.

Yesterday night I got a little work done. Not a lot, but a little.

[​IMG]

I got all the outlet boxes nailed up and put the wiring in between the boxes. I still need to make all the home runs to the panel. I had to move the bags of insulation for the 3rd time. I'm about ready to put it in the walls just so I don't have to keep working around it. :grrrrrr:
  9. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

wish I had a man-cave that size ...............
  10. Coach24

tortoise and the hare..........

little is better than none

yeah yeah. that's what she said. i know to well