1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting backup camera to always be ON !

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JKeshler23, Oct 6, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. JKeshler23

JKeshler23 New Member

Does anyone know a way to wire up your Backup Camera to always be on when your truck is running?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

simply put no I dont,

but if I had to guess, maybe it could be done similar to wiring a nav system to always think the ebrake is on so you can actually use it while driving. With my wifes I hooked it to a toggle switch and grounded it so that if say I had to show it working like it was supposed to I could flip the switch off and it would function properly (can only input address with ebrake up etc). I would think if instead of it being connected to the reverse wiring (with a nav it connects to the reverse light and gets powered that way), connect it to a powered switch and just filp it on making it think its in reverse.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When I wired my back up camera in, the instructions said to tie the camera power wire into back up light circuit (I used the wire for this purpose that was in the trailer wire harness). Unless your camera is wired significantly differently from mine, it seems like it should be as easy as finding a different, always on source for the camera power. Again, it seems like the trailer wire harness could have an accessory wire that is always on.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[​IMG]

The "E" pin should have the 12v power.

However, this is hot all of the time, it needs a relay to switch it when the ignition is on.

The red wire may not be connected to any thing, look under the hood near the fuse box. If you find it loose, there is a post near the fuses that it will connect to.