1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting Lift kit and 35's, Need help on gear ratio!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Silverado 4X4, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Silverado 4X4

Silverado 4X4 New Member

Ok so I'm thinking about getting a new silverado to replace my current one. I want to put a 6" liftkit(thinkin fabtech performance w/ 4.0 dirt logics?) and 35" tires(nitto trail grapplers mt). My question is what axle ratio should I get with it? I can chose from 3.08, or 3.42? I do very little heavy towing, and about 20% my driving will be offroad,40% highway, 40% city. I think that 3.42 would work well enough, but with those tires on there it will actually be back down in 3.04 range . So when I regear it should I get it closer to the 3.42 or 3.73? I'm sorry If I'm not making any sense. This is all new to me, I've never had to change my gear ratio before. Thanks in advance
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

to start what is your stock gear ratio and tire size (vehicle etc). that will decide the right range. knowing those to things will help us out in advice. Looking at your driving style I would say that when you change gears go with what will get you back close to the stock range.

Also if I read it right and you have a 3.08 and a 3.42 would bring it back close go with that. in that case the 3.73 would be better for towing but increase highway RPM etc. with your driving I would try to bring it as close to stock as possible.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Go with 4.10s for mileage or 4.56s for more grunt. I have both and like the 4.56s better. 3.42s or 3.73s just aren't enough gear for 35" tires.
  4. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

You might want to read all the way through this topic ... IMO: it's a good discussion of the issues (and contains some good links as well, such as this gear table -- tire size VS gear ratios).
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2...check out the table 04-silverado posted a link to. Running 35's with 3.42's or higher (lower numerically) is going to wreak hell on your tranny and your truck is going to be a dog. As you can see from the chart 4.10's or 4.56's are much better.
  6. Silverado 4X4

Silverado 4X4 New Member

Thanks to everyone, it helps me a lot. I was way off! So now I think 4.56 is the way to go. It will get me pretty close to stock. And if I even wanted 37's it would still work. Thanks a million.
  7. kshephard

kshephard New Member

re-gear

After I get my new driveshaft, I'm gonna change the gears to 4.10 in my '10 2500HD. I can't stand all the shifting goin' on when I'm on cruise control on the highway in WV & MD. Drives me nuts.

I have 6" Skyjacker & running 35's. Soon as I figure out how to attach pics, I will...
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

if your stock is 3.73 then yeah definately going to the 4.56 will give you the best grunt etc and be better if you upgraded to 37's