1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting ready to dive into the 4l60e and my truck!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by cruisnhard, Mar 21, 2010.

1. cruisnhard

cruisnhard New Member

Well I have burnt up my 3-4 clutches, so I have decided to rebuild.

I ordered everything from PATC down in Louisiana. I have hopefully ordered everything I need. It has been quite a bit of time since GM mechanic school. I am hoping it wont take me too long, and I hope I dont burn up a new set of clutches and stuff.

Anyways, just thought I could start a thread I could use for pics and hopefully the beginning of my build.

By the way its a 1994 GMC Sierra 4X4 extended cab.

Thanks.

Paul.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Make sure you read Joe AirForce's thread. He did this exact same thing and posted a lot of pictures. Also make sure you replace the solid input shaft rings as these can cause the 3-4 clutch problem and most guys without the special tool opt not to change them. Also I would install a TransGo Junior Kit in this transmission.
  3. cruisnhard

cruisnhard New Member

What does the shift kit change?

Yeah I saw the thread and it looks like it will help. If I dont have the tool I will take it to a machine shop to have it pressed on or applied.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. z3ro

z3ro New Member 100 Posts

I have no idea what all this entails, but good luck dude!
  5. Jimmiee

The shift Kit addresses high rate failure areas in the valve body. The instructions alone are worth the price of the kit. As far as changing the solid rings this can be done without the special tools. Send me a PM when you get to them and I'll walk you through it. I have rebuilt over 100 of these transmissions. :)
  6. cruisnhard

cruisnhard New Member

cool man will do.
  7. cruisnhard

cruisnhard New Member

Almost got the trans out. Just one more bolt and it should be out.

By the way the trans fluid was blacker then black and smelled extremely burnt.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  8. cruisnhard

cruisnhard New Member

so tranny is apart and I am starting to put back together.

How cheap would a shop do the teflon rings, or cn I do it myself with stuff found around the shop instead of buying the expensive tools?
  9. cruisnhard

cruisnhard New Member

10. Jimmiee

Stretch them just enough to get them into the groove. Then you squeeze them back down to size carefully. A large zip tie with the teeth removed will squeeze them down or a hose clamp around a piece of thin sheet metal works too. Once you get the ring close use the drum and the pump stator support for the final sizing.