1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting TOW MIRRORS Color Matched is $120 a good deal for both??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Rockstarrchevy81, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was just wondering if $120 bucks was a good price to get both my tow mirror's color matched? My buddy work's at a GM dealership and said a guy would do it for this price. The guy will also have to part them out and sand them down since they are the textured ones. I plan on getting this done next month sometime. If anyone has answers please let me know!! Thanks, Jake
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say that is a very fair price to color match your tow mirrors, especially with the amount of prep work involved to sand the texture off of them
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Yeah i would say so too! I just don't feel like dealing with sanding them down would be a long process without the right tools. I was thinking about buying me a paint gun sooner or later and i found a site that has gm color paint to match my truck and allot of others already mixed along with paint guns,sand paper, masking tape, clear coats and adhesion promotor at a very fair price! I was thinking about doing that but for the paint and clear was $90 so i'm actually better off just paying the 20 bucks and getting it done by a painter at a dealership.
  4. pmf608

I just did the mirror caps on my 2003 avalanche myself. I used duplicolor paint in a spray can matched to my color with duplicator clear. It cost about $40 and turned out great, but sanding the texture off of those caps was frustrating, even with a power sander. And the caps are removable on mine, and have a very simple contour. Personally, with the contours of the arms and spaces between them on the tow mirrors, I wouldn't have any interest at all in trying to sand them - at least not with the tools I have. For $120 to have them professionally done, as much as I like to do things myself, it wouldn't be worth my time or effort to do the prep on them myself.
  5. Rockstarrchevy81

I agree man i just think the time and money i put into them wouldn't be worth it at all! The money i don't mind but the time it would take to prep them for painting wouldn't be nearly as worth as paying $20 more to get them done at a dealership with all the right equipment. I was thinking before i got my tow mirrors to get my stock mirror's painted but i like the look of the tow mirror's color matched allot more!
  6. pmf608

I agree with you 100% on everything there. I have thought about getting tow mirrors for my avalanche since they would work with the look I would eventually like to go for but I decided to keep my mirrors and just paint the caps like they should have been because I don't tow anything big enough to NEED tow mirrors and I like the power folding and puddle light features.

I think black and white trucks are the best for painted tow mirrors and that they will look great when they are finished
  7. Rockstarrchevy81

Yeah i know for a fact that they will look good and am ready to get them done sometime next month with the extra money from the military! I'm thinking about getting my front and rear bumpers done also to match but haven't decided on the replacements yet or not.. My truck is just mainly for look's and hardly ever take it off - road it's fun when your mud riding but having to clean it up sucks lol. I see it as if i invest and paid this much for a truck being i'm only 21 not to go tear it up for no reason. I see to play in small mud holes and maybe some trails but sinking it naahh that's what a older model chevy is for lol the play toy..