1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gibson Exhaust just arrived in the mail!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by BigMike2011, Jul 22, 2011.

1. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 New Member

I ordered a Gibson dual extreme exhaust a couple of days ago and im pretty anxious to put it on my 2011 silverado. I got it out and looked at the instructions and im thinkin it might be best to pay a professional to put it on lol. I heard Gibsons are pretty easy to put on yourself cause they are just all clip on connections but what im worried about is the stock exhaust like cutting it and all that good stuff. I know a couple of yall have Gibson exhausts on here so any advice you can give me on the best way to put this puppy on? or just recommend takin it to a pro?

Ill post picks of before and after once i figure out what im goin to do about the installation. Thanks alot guys!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I assume its a cat-back. If you don't want to save the old exhaust just cut it of with a tubing cutter, sawsaw or hacksaw. Spray the old flange up near the cats and remove it. Its really not hard to do, just take your time and don't get upset.:grrrrrr:

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Also READ THE DIRECTIONS TWICE. Lay the kit out on the ground next to the truck like it would be mounted and just look at it. You can do it and then buy something else for your truck with the money you saved!!:great:
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Christmas in July Mike? X2 on doing it yourself. Save a bunch of money & it's not that difficult.
  4. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 New Member

haha exactly, the only question i had from lookin over the instructions is how far back from the muffler do you cut? they just say to cut behind the muffler. is that to just take the entire back half off?
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

They probably don't specify an exact measurement on where to cut in the directions because even identical trucks can be different by an inch or so. I would just carefully measure the new one & then transfer the measurement to your old one before you cut.
  6. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member

Allow enough room to use a band clamp if you ever want (or need) to put the stock system back on.
  7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mine is an '05 Crew Cab but there shouldn't be that much difference. You have to cut the old exhaust at a point that will allow you to remove it. Once the stock system is unbolted it has to be cut because you won't be able to pull it out over the axle. Before you do any cutting make sure you can get the old head pipe unbolted, if you soak the bolts with WD40 or PB Blaster they shouldn't be a problem, especially since your truck is not that old. Once the headpipe is unbolted you can pull the system free from the rubber grommets and then you should be able to tell where to make the cut, on my truck it was just in front of the rear axle and behind the muffler. After you get the old system out, you can start loosely installing the new system. Start by bolting the new head pipe up, it should only fit one way, and then you should be able to figure out which pipe goes on which side from the instructions. If I remember right the instructions aren't too awful bad. Just fit everything loosely until you get it where you want it and then tighten everything down. I know it can be a little nerve wracking to take a sawzall to a perfectly good exhaust, but take your time and take a deep breath and start hacking away! I've had 2 Gibson systems now and both installs went without a hitch, and had them both done in around an hour.
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Keep us updated, looking forward to hearing more.

:great::great::great::great::great:
  9. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 New Member

oh cool that just helped me out alot thanks guys! ill hopefully get it done today. i think once i make my first cut it will be easier but im a little nervous about it lol thanks again guys and ill keep you posted
  10. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 New Member

so after 6 hours in 200 degree weather the exhaust is finally on. She growls now and i love it! the installation was really easy but taking off the stock exhaust was the hardest. I went at it with a hacksaw and it took me a good hour and a half to hack through that cause theres no room to put a saw down there, but after hitting my knuckles and a few bad words it finally came off. I was so surprised by how easily the Gibson went on. The only thing i think im going to have done to it is have all the connections welded, especially the chrome tips cause they would be pretty easy to steal and just in case theres a leak i didnt hear. props to gibson for making such a good exhaust and an easy instal! i absolutely love it! i would recommend to any one i know

oh and thanks for all the help guys yall were a huge help getting me started!