Give me ideas | My first vehicle

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Sonoma, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Sonoma

Sonoma New Member

Ok first off I already have a truck, I'm 17 now and bought a 97 Sonoma for $500 when I was 14I figured I would work on it for when I did turn 16. It just never happened, I ended up doing more work on other peoples cars then my own.Well anyway I have some spare time this summer coming up and have a job. We have a transmission sitting up the mountain where the garage is located. All we need to do is put it in, which should take half a day if I get a few more guys to help me.I am taking suggestions for what I should do first to this woods truck. I mean after we have the tranny in and all the lines, brakes, tires, etc. What will really make this thing stand out going down the road. Obviously it's not the biggest thing out their, reply with a thought or idea.

24484_119201388093268_100000102223349_312355_5045348_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Gundog10

Gundog10 New Member

First, just make sure to adjust that TV cable right or your new tranny will burn up. A good tune up, rear locker or limited slip, off road lights, tires, and some skid plates. have fun.

3. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

locking rear dif and a good set of tires on a stock s10 will surprise you and many others

4. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed. I've seen an S10 pull a 2WD silverado backward. After that.... maybe a gmtruckclub sticker? Planning anything more for the engine or just staying as is? How are you going to be using the truck?

5. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

You have a great plan so far,, but it is a 97 so start were you are then drive it around and your truck will tell you what is next, and what it needs, after you have gone a few miles and driven for a few months, and worked out all the needs and musts... then you will be able to move forward to the wants and must haves........ Have fun with it:glasses:

6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would start with a new set of shocks, rebuild all the brakes, change all the fluids such as motor oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, rear end lube and new brake fluid. after you know all that has been done you can feel more comfortable spending money on appearance mods like tire and rims, bull bars etc....... I understand you want it to look good, but if it doesnt run then its just a pretty driveway ornament that cant move.

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My brother is putting a 350 double quads running around 400 in an old s10 work truck he's got. With a t56 he rebuilt after we pulled it out a cobra a blew up. He's having fun with it