1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Give me your Chevrolet Avanlanche "411"

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by Cableguy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm looking at replacing my old girl with something I can haul humans in as well as lots of cargo.
    Can I put a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the back? Which motor is having the best luck? I would like 4wheel drive. I've had an offer to take a friends out (6 litre, 4x4, black)
    I'm looking at 2005 and down which I think is the old body style.
    Give me your take on these things. What do I need to know and what do I look out for...

PS and I need 2 really good cup holders (A must for my coffee)
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

There are 2 engine choices: the 5.3 that is shared with all the other half-ton trucks and SUV's, or the much less fuel efficient but more powerful 8.1 with an Allison transmission if you choose to go with a 2500 Avalanche. Unless you do a lot of heavy towing, etc. with it, I would recommend the 1500. The 2002's shared their electrical with the rest of the 2002 gm trucks, so there was no class 2 data (makes it a bit easier and cheaper if you want to put a stereo in), and there was no upgraded stereo option. It got the same overhaul as the rest of them in 2003, and a bose stereo was available with the new class 2 data wiring. In 2003 and up, they became available without cladding, in case the cladding is not your style. If you fold the midgate down, it gives you a full 8' bed. The early North Face Editions had a green and grey leather/goretex seats, so that is a unique option you might want to watch for, if you like that style. partway into 2003, they changed the north face to a much more subtle grey leather/goretex seat. It is my experience that most of the 2002's have the good options such as drivers door auto-dimming mirror, the convenience package (=homelink and a few other things). In 2003, avalanches were available with a few less features for those who didnt want the fully loaded one. Thats most of the important stuff, other than make sure if you buy one that it has all of its tonneau panels, as I have heard these can run up to $700 each at the dealer, and there are 3 of them.

Good luck with your AV purchase, Im sure you will enjoy it. I am looking to upgrade to one myself.
  3. dnice58

dnice58 New Member

hey cableguy new to this forum, but as to your question about the plywood I was able to get eight 4x8 sheets in the avy with the midgate down. I think the 06 was the last of the first gen avalanches. I've got a 06 z71 ahve had for three years and love it. had a Sierra before and there is no comparison for me between the two. Hope you find what you're looking for and good luck.
  4. tekguy6

tekguy6 New Member

Can a 4x8 sheet of plywood lie flat -- no, but that won't be a problem. The Avalanche's midgate won't quite lay flat due to the seats underneath it, but they've thought of that, and fitted the midgate with a small flap that allows you to easily push a piece of plywood into the bed without trouble. I've done this with drywall, by myself, with no trouble.

Both of mine have had the 5.3, it's enough, but the weight of the Avalanche is apparent when compared with the same engine in my 2000 Silverado. Most Av's are 4wd, you shouldn't have a problem finding that.

The only problem I found with my 2003 was the bed covers will eventually start to leak. You could probably replace the seals and it would be water tight again. My 2003 lost it's water-tightness on the cover about at about 2 1/2 years old, and my new '07 leaks a little bit already. The bed is drained, so it's not a problem, but your gear might get wet.

Cupholders are a non-issue. I had the front bench in my '03 and the cupholders were excellent, and if you have the full console, they're right there for you as well.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey CableGuy, If your not dead set on a Avalanche (cool trucks in ther eown way) how about a used Suburban say 96-99. I can get a full 4X8 sheet of wood etc. in my 96 Suburban with the rear seat out and the center seat folded down and close the rear door. Nice when its raining.