1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Glass on driver's side mirror shakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by clayyalc, May 20, 2012.

1. clayyalc

clayyalc New Member

I have recently bought a used truck and started to notice that the left mirror shakes a bit when driving. I can be hard to see out of sometimes. Is there something that I can replace or screw down that would prevent that.
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is typically do to aftermarket mirrors being put on instead of OEM from GM. I had the very same problem with some mirrors from A1 Auto, I told them and they sent another one but it did the same thing. If the passenger side mirror was changed it probably shakes to but you won't notice due to it being convex. I don't think there is anything you can do to fix this unless you go to the dealership and order new mirrors. Sorry. Good luck. :glasses:
  3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

Same. a new ford truck with those fifty foot mirrors played mirror tag with my truck on a narrow bridge. Instead of spending like 500 for the heated, dimmed, and turn signal mirror i bought an aftermarket one. it shakes. i messed with it, no success.
  4. paracutin

paracutin New Member

You guys are making the assumption that because the truck was purchased used it has aftermarket mirrors. My drivers side mirror glass shakes too and it is 100% original GM. I have the telescoping trailer mirrors. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to repair it.
  5. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just so you know we are just trying to help and we are drawing on our own experience. If you don't like our response that is fine but you will not get very far on this site calling people that are trying to help an ass as you clearly did by underlining ass in your post. :glasses:
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you have the tow mirrors, you can reduce the housing shake somewhat, which in-turn will reduce mirror vibration. Check out this link, especially posts #28 and #68. I posted some information that should be helpful.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...?p=309544&highlight=mirror shaking#post309544

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

See if the link above helps....
  7. paracutin

paracutin New Member

Have you never heard the expression that "assuming makes an ASS out of U and Me"?
    Instead of assuming the truck has aftermarket mirrors why not ask if it does? That is the more logical approach to troubleshooting the problem.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Sounds easy enough. Gonna give it a try. Thanks.
  8. The Heater

The Heater Member

Unfortunately, a basic "assumption" of the author is that the problem may be fixable. My experience with mirror vibration is it is a function of the vehicle the mirror is attached to, not the mirror (although the factory mirrors usually are better quality than aftermarket). Therefore, unless you can stop the vibration from translating to the mirror, this is a problem you can attenuate perhaps with some heroic intervention, but you will probably have to live with most of it. Sorry, my friend.

Just as a side note, I read the replies to your query and it did appear to me that those answering your question were genuinely sharing their experience with your problem. It is both logical and sensible that they would tell you they had the experience with non OEM mirrors, and there was not sufficient information in the original post to think otherwise.