1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM 2013 Full-Size Truck Recall :: Chevy Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban,Avalanche, Express

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ChevyFan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

2013-Chevrolet-Silverado-Truck-Image-03.jpg General Motors Co is recalling more than 69,000 full-size trucks and vans globally that could roll away after being parked due to a potential steering column defect, the automaker said on Friday.

About 55,000 of the vehicles in the recall are in the United States, 6,310 are in Canada and 7,084 are exports, GM said. Another 670 are in Mexico.

Affected vehicles include certain 2013-model Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV SUVs; Chevrolet Express vans, Silverado and Avalanche pickup trucks, and Tahoe and Suburban SUVs; and GMC Savanna vans, Sierra pickup trucks, and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs, GM said.

This recall covered certain 2013 GM full-size truck models.

• GMT600 - Chevrolet Express (601) & GMC Savanna (602)
    • GMT900 - Chevy Silverado (911) & GMC Sierra (912)
    • GMT940 - Chevy Avalanche (941) & Cadillac EXT (946)
    • GMT920 - Chevy Tahoe (921), GMC Yukon (922) & Cadillac Escalade (926)
    • GMT930 - Chevy Suburban (931), GMC Yukon XL (932) & Cadillac Escalade ESV (936)

About 55,000 of the vehicles in the recall are in the United States, 6,310 are in Canada and 7,084 are exports, GM said. Another 670 are in Mexico.

Affected vehicles include certain 2013-model Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV SUVs; Chevrolet Express vans, Silverado and Avalanche pickup trucks, and Tahoe and Suburban SUVs; and GMC Savanna vans, Sierra pickup trucks, and Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs, GM said.

GM says the vehicles may have been built with faulty park lock cables or malformed steering column lock gears. The vehicles can be shifted out of park even if the ignition key is in the off position or removed. GM says about one in 1,000 of the vehicles has the problem, and most haven’t been sold yet.

The company says it knows of no crashes or injuries caused by the problem.

The recall includes almost 55,000 vehicles in the U.S. and another 14,000 in Canada, Mexico and elsewhere in the world.

Dealers will replace the steering column free of charge if necessary.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wanna bet it's for a steering clunk issue? :happy:

Seriously, that's lame...
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did someone say Tundra.... oh wait, electronic acceleration = bad, still need that cable as a backup....... But seriously.
  4. Johnny Hoss

Johnny Hoss New Member

If the bastards still made a real man's transmission (manual), then the combination of leaving it in gear and using your park brake; would eliminate any stupid steering column issues affecting the automatic slush box not going into park.

What do I know

1990 W/T 4.3 &5-speed
    2004 W/T 4.8 & 5-speed
    1981 custom deluxe 20 292 I-6 & 4 sp.

over a million miles I've driven on GM manual trans trucks. Now I can't buy a new one. ****ers
  5. Nargg

Nargg New Member

Toyota won the highest number of recalls in total last year. I think it was over 1.5 million.
  6. swedp

swedp New Member

ho problem,i sell anchors
  7. arkz71

arkz71 New Member

The problem is people 'think' Toyota/Nissan/Honda/(import name here) is like a sabbatical where nothing goes wrong.

If anyone has actually worked on a Toyota (for a friend) as I have, I recommended a different brand. Since I have towed 3 Toyota's all late models less than 5-7 years with a 2003 Chevrolet Z71 5.3 with over 200,000 miles on it.

The biggest lie is Toyota is the most reliable vehicle made, if so why are they #1 in recalls, and the complexity and cost of parts is shocking to say the least.

I will stick with GM, never been let down even with high millage trucks.
  8. Nargg

Nargg New Member

[MENTION=52417]arkz71[/MENTION],

Tell me about it! I have a sister who is a die hard Toyota fan. My father prefers to work on vehicles, so I'm often dragged into repairing her P.O.S. cars! They are the worst IMHO right now. I will say that at one time Toyota did build a few (A FEW!) cars that were truly amazing in quality. But for my experience, that was 30 years ago and NOT today. Today they are the worst of the worst that GM ever was in it's past. Thank God for the U.S. and all of us that GM (along with Ford and Chrysler) woke up, I figure sometime in the 90's if not maybe a bit earlier for some parts of the company. Today I see that GM builds among the best machines that traverse this planet. Do they build the best? I'm not convinced of that. But considerations aside from politics and economic influences, the vehicles GM builds are more than any purchaser today can ask for.

[/soap box]
  9. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I own a 2013 Silverado and have received no notification of this recall.
  10. Nargg

Nargg New Member

Then it's probably not for your truck. Most recalls are usually for a small number of vehicles in a particular year. Sometimes it may be as small as only a few hundred built during a short time frame.