Gm 351 v6

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by davbell22602, Jun 29, 2012.

1. davbell22602

davbell22602 New Member

[h=6]Does anybody know what other GM engines has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 351 V6?[/h]

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Those were lame duck engines that were only used in Heavy Duty trucks where lots of torque was needed.
    They were never popular for swap material, you might be able to find adaptors at Advanced Adaptors but other than that I dont know of any resources.

3. davbell22602

davbell22602 New Member

Im looking for a replacement for mine.

4. tbplus10

The engine, transmission, or both?
    There arent many options out there anymore for those drivetrains, most of them have been sent to the scrap yard and gotten crushed. The size of that truck requires an engine with lots of torque and there really isnt anything that fits that bill unless you go to a big block 454 with a TH400 trans or diesel.

5. davbell22602

davbell22602 New Member

The engine through rod through the block. Block no good now. I was told I could switch to a chevy bellhousing. This is a manual transmission. Possibly a sm420.

6. tbplus10

Just a thought but have you tried googling U-haul, my thinking is this, the engine in those trucks was used for many years without many changes, U-haul sells off their old trucks and more than a few times I've seen lots full of old U-haul trucks.

7. davbell22602

davbell22602 New Member

No I havent. I found a 351 v6 in Lowa that has 23k original miles for $750 plus $250 for shipping to VA.Right now waiting I'm to hear if its a c or m. Mine is M for magnuam.

8. Bud Smith

Bud Smith New Member

What did you do with this engine project. The 351M (magnum ported heads) like other GMC V6s were 1/2 million mile engines. Yes slow fuel guzzlers and torque at 1600 rpm they were very good Med Duty service engines. The 401 cu in (offered magnum only) should bolt up. Even two years ago U haul had nothad a GMC V6 in fleet for at least 25 years. Your trans is a NP 435 instead of light duty sm 420...the NP 540 5 spd may bolt in and be an improvement.