Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM 8.5" 10 bolt gaskets

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Cowpie, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have been a fan of Lube Locker gaskets for years. Used them extensively on Jeeps and other vehicles. They are far superior to OEM differential gaskets and are reusable! No supplemental RTV or gasket sealer needed. I just purchased a 2013 Silverado 1500 crew cab on 5/31 and started my research into Lube locker gaskets for the rear diff. I am sort of anal about fluids, and all my fluids get changed out within the first 10,000 miles. Engine oil gets changed out after the first 2000.

If anyone is interested in a top notch rear diff gasket for their Silverado, here is a link to a place to get the Lube Locker one.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...spx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4018&t_pn=LULLLR-G850
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

looks like a good made gasket.
    I also are very anal on fluid replacing on these type fluids.

I have a procedure on replacing this gasket seal which seals the differential with no gasket damage on removal. I still have the first one I purchased OEM from 2001. I do use a very small amount of silicone gasket sealer each time.. very small amount. still perfect seal replaced fluid 3 times so far.
  3. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Meh, ive done them all with silicone and have had no issues.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Me too. Also where did the expression being "anal" come from anyway? I have used it myself but never really thought about it.:rofl:
  5. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Yeah, I have used RTV in the past and never had an issue. I just like getting jobs done as quickly and as easily as possible. Some of us have so many things that vie for our time, turning vehicle maintenance into special Mechanics Illustrated projects is not worth it. I have a semi truck to maintain, an ag tractor to maintain, and a host of other things that consume my time, that every minute saved in time on doing any maintenance job is money saved, as time is money when you are in business for yourself. For some, spending a lot of time fiddling with their ride is a form of therapy. I can deal with that. In that case, take all the time you want.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's a reference to the anal stage of infant/early-childhood psychology (usually associated with potty training, hence the retention aspect) ... as originally (and erroneously) theorized by Freud.

I have a question -- why do you prefer silicon gasket maker over an actual gasket?
  7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

when you use the silicone sealant only and no gasket you must wait about 30 min for the silicone on the cover to skin over . then install the cover to the housing which has been cleaned with mineral spirits to remove all oils.

many professionals use this method rather than use a gasket.

I use the OEM gasket with just a small amount on the gasket surface wait the 30 min then install the cover with the gasket on it . then when I remove this cover the gasket stays with the cover and makes the re- install very easy .
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The link is broken. I bought an OEM gasket off ebay for $28. I am a big proponent of using OEM gaskets. My thought is the differential has a 100K mile warranty, if you need servicing on it, and the dealer finds non-OEM gaskets, they might start asking you questions, since IIRC there is no service interval for differential fluid changes on the 1/2 ton Silverado.
  9. BlackBeaard

BlackBeaard New Member

For those that dont know, if your making your gasket out of RTV be sure to not get any in the cover mount holes, there is very minnimal clearance and if there is too much RTV in the holes (take if from a pro) they will crack the diff. i realize this seems entirely impossible but believe me its true for both military equipment and our trucks. that gasket does seem pretty nice, what kind of fluid are you running?