1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM Approved Engine Oils

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Dr_Zero, May 21, 2009.

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

2. Black Chevy

Black Chevy New Member

Does this mean that Roal Purple and Amsoil are not approved for GM vehicles?
  3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

All it means is they did not pay to be on a list. See the thing is almost all oils you pay for advertising not the product.
  4. Dr_Zero

I wondered about that myself, I have read that some brands dont want to waste the money to get the certification that other brands do maybe that is why but best thing would be to contact GM direct since they hold your warranty.
  5. 1st Synthetics

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't know everyone thinks that Maguson Moss act holds any weight in the real world, the bottom line is it's up to the dealer's discretion what voids your warranty. I have not heard one person say that it went in there favor, unless you have the money to pursue legal action against them. By the time you add in court costs and other stuff, it ends up not even being worth it in the end. I can't see the list right now, but I will check it out when I can.
  7. Dr_Zero

Yeah you never know what they are going to say I think we have all learned that the hard way when it come to warrantys.

I really thought it was interesting to read over the list there are some really cheap brands on there that I wouldnt have thought passed muster but I guess if they meet the certifcation then the price might not matter but Im still kinda warry.

There is a web sight that ranks oil by users and I was suprised to see how they all ranked out based off actual votes vs marketing there was not much difference in them.

I dont tell anyone what one brand they should buy when it comes to oil its all up the individual and the application we all have our faves.

I keep thinking I should get me a Royal purple franchise though :lol: and yes that was a joke I dont use them
  8. 1st Synthetics

It is not about passing or failing, it is who paid GM to be on the list.
  9. rubenalonzo

rubenalonzo New Member

I run Castrol 10w 30 high mileage oil in my '99 Silverado. I get the the one in the green quart bottles, she runs like a charm.