GM Begins To Talk About It’s New Mid-Sized Trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Enkeiavalanche, May 8, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[h=2]GM Begins To Talk About It’s New Mid-Sized Trucks[/h][​IMG]According to Mark Reuss, GM North America president, the company is considering names for it's new mid-size pickup truck. The company will be replacing the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon and is aimed at taking away buyers from Toyota. GM also plans to attack the west coast with a "Fun" package that the company thinks those buyers will really like. According to a report in the Detroit Free Press, GM is looking for these trucks to be "lifestyle" oriented and are reported to go on sale next year, with new introductions slated late in 2013.
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks like a Malibu on truck tires.

As much as I like Chevys, I think Ford has the right idea here. They stopped making the Ranger with the EcoBoost F-150 on the market. The kind of people that wanted a cheap truck were shying away from the Ranger and buying entry-level F-150s with the EcoBoost. The entery-level F-150s (regular cab, 6' bed, EcoBoost V-6, not a lot of bells and whistles) still have more room, more power and more towing capacity than most Rangers and were still cheaper so Ford saw Ranger sales dropping.

Part of me says Chevy should take the same approach but the other part of me says Chevy doesn't need to be mirroring everything Ford does. Since Ford no longer has a mid-sized truck and Chevy will, maybe it will work out for them.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree! That or an HHR with a avalanche rear end. I don't like the way it looks in the pic. But, seeing it in person may change my opinion. It does not matter what I think anyway, I am not the target audience on this one.
  4. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member 100 Posts

I'm honestly glad with this approach! Before I picked up my current Sierra, I debated getting a Colorado or Canyon. My problem was that even on the higher end 1/4 tons from GM, they were still Spartan when compared to the Toyota Tacoma. Considering my truck had to be a daily driver along with a cross country hauler, this was an important issue for me. Seeing GM finally changing things up to go after this market is welcoming. One of the advantages to the 1/4's that we were considering for my wife's next vehicle was that they are smaller than the 1/2 tons which she is apprehensive about driving. This would have been a perfect stepping stone for her! ANYways, that's my two cents!
  5. thomcat

thomcat New Member

Traded my Colorado W/T for a '12 Avalanche my wife's Trailblazer for a '13 Avalanche.....the Colorado never was much good for hauling large items, poor to mediocre ride, underpowered when loaded and only 2-1/2 adults wide. ...I have no intention of ever going backward ........this is like putting lipstick on a pig...Chevy discontinued the Avalanche this year......figured that Chevy was going to downsize a good thing and this glitzed up Colorado looks like the first step toward bringing it back in a few years as the rumored 2016 Avalanche. Chevy tried this once before with their mini 2 door Blazer which looked like an SUV but quacked like a duckling......didn't work out too well and they had to upsize to the Trailblazer. Room, ride, and power means a wide truck, long wheelbase and a mid size or better V8.

Can't imagine what type of young lifestyle this fits????...............Small bed, narrow cabin, small roof, two door access, no room for an amp and two 16" speakers....young'uns want SUVs, not something labeled as a "truck" or a "minivan" no matter what it looks like and those that do want a truck buy something that is big and can be used as a truck, and not a small, city package hauler....might be good for young'uns who never buy groceries or ever expect to contend with childseats or portly parents, or who transport their surfboards, skis or bicycles via UPS.........if sold cheap enough it could outsell the Volt, which failed to draw hoards of young life stylers from Toyota, in fact Toyota increased it's Prius line while GM is trying to dump their Volts on the Government.

Appears to be another poor attempt to increase fleet mileage at the expense of larger practical vehicles....this strategy has been tried many times before and it doesn't work....Vega, Citation, Lumina, HHR, and others sent to an early grave.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Well Glad to see you like your Avalanche..:great:
  7. thomcat

thomcat New Member

We don't like our Avalanches.....we LOVE them, and I have for years... it wasn't a direct trade from the '06 Colorado to a '12 Avy.....my '06 Colorado after 10 long months was traded in late '06 for a new '07 Avalanche LT3. That's when I fell in love with the Avalanche, which after 5 great years of good looks, comfort, power, practicality and reliability was traded for the '12 LTZ. When I got the fully loaded '12 with the Nav, 6 speed, etc. I never got to use it......the wife always grabbed the keys because she preferred it over the 4 spd Trailblazer....probably because she likes to order the Avy around using the voice commands....... so I traded it for a fully loaded '13 Fairway Z71 with Nav just for me and now I keep both sets of keys!
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Very nice.. Just Sucks that GM stopped it for now...:neutral: I like my 08 but liked my 02 better...
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm probably going to buy a new Colorado when they do come out, I think it's ugly in that color or even the silver they show it in. But once you see it in the other color choices, blue, red, green, etc. I bet you'll like it better.
  10. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member 100 Posts

Whatever GM comes up with, they need to offer it with a manual transmission. Even Toyota (who offers fewer manuals than anyone else out there) offers a 4x4 manual version of the Tacoma even now. Nissan does as well (actually Nissan offers a 4x4 manual Xterra as well). I'll be honest, from what I've seen so far, I don't expect much from this new mid-sized GM. So when it does come time to get a mid-sized 4x4 to hunt with, I will probably buy a Nissan. As much as I've liked my Chevys over the years, the Frontier and Xterra both have exactly what I want in my next hunting truck (just not sure if I want a truck bed or not) and they're not overpriced like the Toyotas are.