GM cancels Malibu, Aura hybrids

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

GM said Thursday it is working on the next generation of its gas-electric mild hybrid system that will be more efficient than the one it is canceling in the Malibu and Aura.

More...

2. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Now based on the numbers this seems like the only good GM cancellation lately. Bring on the Volt.

3. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 Rockstar 100 Posts

wasnt saturn going to be shutdown anyways?

4. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are they canceling the malibu completely or just the hybrid?

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It's just the hybrid, the story says that it's only getting slightly better MPG than the regular 4-cyl Malibu, so people were thinking, what's the point when it's $4K more? It's not like the Tahoe Hybrid, that I drove personally and I got 24 MPG in heavy Downtown Dallas driving, which was nearly double the city driving MPG.

They're redesigning the next generation hybrid which should see much more dramatic MPG gains.

6. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Oh thats good to hear, they have a perfect design on those new mali's. They were right about making a good looking car and making it the most luxurious they could with out the expence.

7. Bikeman

Bikeman Member

I work for a Saturn dealer, I guess Roger Penski is going to purchase Saturn. word is gm is going to make Saturn cars for 2010 and the 2011 MY will be by a different manufacturer all together.

I was pretty concerned when I heard Saturn was done but for now I still have a job:money: