1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM CEO call for $1 gas tax hike

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChromeSilver02, Jun 9, 2011.

1. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/07/news/companies/gm_gas_tax_hike/

Read this article today, the CEO is calling for a gas tax hike, I know GM and every automobile manufacture is a business, they are trying to make money, but this will definitely hurt the consumer and pretty much everyone on this forum will feel pain of filling up their truck, even more than now! :no:
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It makes no sense Chrome. Does he think we're all going to go out & buy new GM economy vehicles because the price of gas goes even higher? That guy's a blithering IDIOT & shouldn't be working for GM or any other American company!! I'll forgo the cost of a new car, the interest on the loan, the higher cost of new car insurance, & just drive my pos less so I can afford to buy groceries. I sure as hell won't be buying one of his gas mizers just to be saddled with extra costs, because it gets better mileage.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For years GM has pushed there fullsize trucks and suv's because of the profit margin, now they want us to give them up, B.S. I'm sure he's going to drive a ego car.LOL.
  4. tc95050

tc95050 New Member

Truck sales are a key to the American manufacturer's business, I don't understand wanting to push people into gas sipping sub-compacts. Yes, I can do w/o my truck, but many of the people I know rely on their truck for their daily routine. Hiking up the gas price another $1 is ridiculous.

And I just got into this damn 60 month loan, no way I can get out now. Talk to me 59 months from now, then maybe, I'll think about it.
  5. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

I completely agree with you, it will be a sad day if this actually becomes a reality
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I didnt read that article, I'll get around to it. One of the problems is that these vehicles are getting such good MPG that we're using LESS gas, so there is less gas tax to fix roads. That, IMHO is a real problem in all of this. I'm in a 2011 Chevy Suburban right now for a demo and I'm averaging about 19 MPG total and about 23 MPG freeway at 60 MPH average. That's crazy high numbers!!!

Now, these cars that are getting 50 MPG aren't using much fuel so they are not paying their fair share of the cost to fix roads.
  7. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So once we all get our Prius or Volt, how do you get a 4x8 sheet of plywood home from Lowes? I guess we will be paying so much for fuel that we won't have to worry about spending money on home improvements. I hope some of our European members weigh in on this because I have heard that in England gas is over $9 US per gallon. I want their testimony about the positive impact on the English economy and auto industry that resulted from driving fuel prices so high.

Limiting opportunity and mismanagement of the economy is the responsibility of Government. I for one do not think there is any lack of ability in Washington as far as pursuing personal goals at the expense of serving the public is concerned. Case and point, with a stumbling economy, double digit unemployment and a host of other serious issues facing our country, a Congressman sends pictures of his winkie to a total stranger.

Unless there is a shortage of women who want pictures of a guys winkie, Akerson should leave the stupidity to the Government.
  8. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree with steve on the main reason and problem is there isnt any way to viably repair the roads. However a higher gas tax makes no sense. they need to do something better. Since you buy an econo box to save money.. and since you save the money on gas they want to figure out a way to get that extra $.75 a gallon fuel tax.
  9. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

"General Motors CEO Dan Akerson said his company and his industry would be helped, not hurt, if consumers paid higher gas taxes." I hate to say this, but isn't this the company that just borrowed taxpayer money to remain in business?? Did he really say that?
  10. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like it.. how quickly they forget!