1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM Goodwrench crate 350, or GM Performance 290/350? 86 K10 Engine swap.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chevy Man NC, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Chevy Man NC

Chevy Man NC New Member

I was wondering if anybody has seen these 2 motor's in action, in person. I need a daily driver, that'll pull good. I've already narrowed it down to these 2 motor's, but I don't know anybody that's seen them in person. I'm putting it in my: 1986 K10 Saginaw 4 speed, to replace my wore out 200k, 305. Anybody know which is better for daily work? Thank's for any information.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

id get the straight 350 myself, but thats me. parts are everywhere and cheap as heck cause theres so many of em.

Alex
  3. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

The only difference between the base 350 and the 290 hp are the cam and the pistons, everything else is the same. I swapped the 290 hp motor into my 78 GMC K1500 2 years ago, and don't regret it a bit. It's not a total powerhouse, but puts out alot more power than my stock 400 did. I drive the truck daily and often tow a 20 ft flatbed. It's a great reliable motor.
  4. Chevy Man NC

Chevy Man NC New Member

Thank's everybody. I think I'm gonna go with the 290/350 with a Lunati cam hehe. :lol: