Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GM Lean :(

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Sep 25, 2011.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys,
    i know im real late on this, but i didnt even find out about it until a few months ago...
    I have a 2000 silverado and have the GM lean :( i never noticed it until about 3 years ago when i put a 3" fabtech spindle lift on my truck) and we though the lift was defective and always have until i read and found out about our trucks having this lean...
    My current measurements are...

LF: 37.75" RF:38.75"
    LR:39.25" RR:40"

and i also have a leveling kit on my truck so it kind of frustrates me that even though i have the lean, my numbers still average an inch lower in the front.

that being said... is this covered by the dealer since i have more than a .5" difference, or what is the best way to fix it? i do not want to lower anything! if i have to fix it myself i want to lift the low side, not lower the high side. seeing that i already had to trim some valance for clearing my tires on the left side, but not the right!(looks like crap) Any suggestions guys?

2. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Idk man i havent really heard of this i guess i have a 98 gmc sierra and never noticed this problem and now have a 08 silverado z71 and no a thing wrong with lean my lift is a 7.5 inch lift too and it's level in front and rear but maybe a 1inch difference in fender height compared to front which is common. I would call the dealership and ask questions and see what you can get out of it.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Below is a G.M. Service Bulletin Regarding the......Vehicle Chevy Lean.......at the bottom of this G.M. bulletin, it shows what parts and part number's for correcting this Chevy Lean....

Subject Vehicle Lean.......Left Front Site Low or Right Rear Sits High (Add Spacer Between Left Rear Spring Pack and Axle) #06-03-06-005A - (01/12/2007)

Models: 1999 to 2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) 1500 (½ Ton) series

Models: 1999 to 2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) 1500 (½ Ton) Series

With Two-Wheel Drive
    This bulletin is being revised to update the models to reflect that bulletin only applies to 1500 (½ Ton) Series. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-03-06-005 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

.....Some Customers,
    Have commented that their vehicle appears to lean. In most cases, the vehicle will sit low left front or high right rear.
    .....Correction,
    Measure fender wheel-opening heights, front and rear, to quantify vehicle lean. Fender wheel-opening heights are related to, but distinct from, trim height (a.k.a. Z and D height). The front wheel-opening height is known as P height, and the rear wheel-opening height is know as R height. The P and R heights are not set at the factory, nor is a specification given for them. However, they are the most direct and repeatable measurement of what a customer would see as the vehicle leaning. Perform the following before measuring the fender wheel-opening heights:

• Make sure the vehicle is on a level surface, such as an alignment rack.

• Set the tire pressures to the pressure shown on the certification label. Refer to Label - Vehicle Certification in General Information.

• Check the fuel level. Add additional weight if necessary to simulate a full tank.

• To ensure proper weight distribution, make sure the rear storage compartment is empty.

• Close the doors and hood.

P Height and R Height Measurements
    P height and R height are measured the same way. They are the distance from the ground to the highest point on their respective wheel-opening, going through the center of their respective wheel. Record the measurement on the repair order.

If the difference from left to right for P and R height is 15 mm (0.59 in) or less, no repairs are suggested as the vehicle is within specification. If the difference exceeds 15 mm (0.59 in) for either measurement, install the spring spacer to the left rear side of the vehicle following the procedure below.

Raise and support the vehicle.
    Support the rear axle.
    Remove the U-bolt nuts, remove the U-bolts and anchor plate. Discard the U-bolts. DO NOT discard the nuts or anchor plate.
    Remove the lower shock nut and bolt.
    Raise the vehicle or lower the axle enough to allow for installation of the spacer. Install the spacer, P/N 15872657.
    Lower the vehicle or raise the axle.
    Install the lower shock nut and bolt.
    Tighten
    Tighten to 95 N·m (70 lb ft).

Install the anchor plate, new longer U-bolts, P/N 15872655, and nuts.
    Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 72 N·m (53 lb ft).

Remove the axle support and lower the vehicle.
    Re-check the P and R heights in the previous location. Record these readings on the repair order.
    After all measurements are done, perform a road test and check headlight aim.
    If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Part Information,
    Part Number....15872655
    Description .....Rear Spring Spacer
    Qty.....1

Part Number....15872657
    Description......Rear Spring U-Bolt
    Qty....2

Part Number...15756770...is for a rubber insulator the dealers use to space the driver side coil spring.

....Side Note....If your left front is 1" lower , you can add one digit to your Part # that come on your truck and it will raise your left front approx 1"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

thanks for the reply and yeah i have seen that bulletin, but i definitely dont want to add any more height to the rear, if possible i want the front=rear (preferably). also i already have 3" blocks in the rear and i heard that doubling on blocks is not safe (or smart). and i have 2" rubber spacers on top of the front coils already (and honestly at $700 for the leveling kit, i think it looks cheap as sh**) would this spacer add more to that front left coil or is that unsafe as well?

5. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Just to give you a heads up. I doubt any dealer will even try to help you since you've modified the suspension. They'll blame any lean on the aftermarket parts.

6. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I really don't think that many dealerships worry about leveling kits and not sure if it even affects the warranty? The main part is if the dealsership is nice they will still cover whatever on warranty because they know that didn't cause the problem but on the other hand the asss holeess will not give you a break and say they can't cover it!