1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GM Major Guard Coverage

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by sweetjones04, Oct 1, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 Member

Guys, I have a serious question regarding the GM Major Guard Coverage. I just recently purchase a brand new 08 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with only 12 miles. I agreed to the extended warranty "GMPP" plan at an $$ extra cost of course. As you all know, all new GM vehicles come with the 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty with all new purchases. Is anyone out there actually still purchasing the extended warranty? If so what are your reasons? I just want to make sure this was a wise decision on my part.

2. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 Member

Please someone help??? I know I am not the only one who bought the extended warranty. I am asking because I am close to cancelling my extended warranty.

3. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

when i bought my truck the dealership upped my 5yr to 7 yrs. just added coverage if something goes wrong i guess.

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm sure you will get mixed opinions on this one because like some, I have purchased there warranties in the past and not used them even after spending thousands of dollars but I they have also come in handy a time or two. I did purchase an extended warranty with my Silverado when I bought it new as I know nothing about diesel engines and that was the biggest reason.

5. drtyprior

drtyprior New Member

I bought the extended warranty... The 5 mile/100,000 limited warranty is on your powertrain, not bumper to bumper, which is actually only 3 years/36,000 miles. The Major Guard plan doubles that giving you 6yrs/72,000 miles bumper to bumper coverage. I called my dad the day I was buying the truck and he said since I planned on taking it into some rough terrain a lot (I hope to start offroading with it as soon as possible) it was probably a good idea to get it.

So I guess my suggestion to you would be to look at how you plan on using your truck: if you think it has any possibility of getting damaged during some risky stuff, you might want to think about keeping the plan.

Another tip: for the $200 deductible, it brought like 600 bucks off my warranty. Most of the parts covered are dealing in the thousands, so I think it was well worth it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Major Guard plan gives you roadside assistance and rentals if your truck is in the shop for a full 6 years.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 Member

Thanks for all your answers it is really appreciated. I am still trying to decide if I am going to keep it or not. I have no real plans of going offroading or doing anything drastic. Again Thanks..

7. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have this coverage also ..plain and simple ....

keep in mind this was all done at a dealership

new transmission due to bad shifting . $ 4500
    new differential seal front - 300
    new front wheel bearing both sides $140 /each + labor
    new rear axle -Dont ask lol $2800
    hvac door actuator passenger side 75 +labor

so far grand total 7955 not including labor hours ...

paying NOTHING but a $100 deductable....Priceless

its a good thing to have :)

8. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 Member

Thanks for helping me make my final decision :lol: