GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

GM Major Guard Coverage

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by sweetjones04, Oct 1, 2008.

1. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 New Member

Guys, I have a serious question regarding the GM Major Guard Coverage. I just recently purchase a brand new 08 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with only 12 miles. I agreed to the extended warranty "GMPP" plan at an $$ extra cost of course. As you all know, all new GM vehicles come with the 5 year/ 100,000 mile warranty with all new purchases. Is anyone out there actually still purchasing the extended warranty? If so what are your reasons? I just want to make sure this was a wise decision on my part.
  2. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 New Member

Please someone help??? I know I am not the only one who bought the extended warranty. I am asking because I am close to cancelling my extended warranty.
  3. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

when i bought my truck the dealership upped my 5yr to 7 yrs. just added coverage if something goes wrong i guess.
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

I'm sure you will get mixed opinions on this one because like some, I have purchased there warranties in the past and not used them even after spending thousands of dollars but I they have also come in handy a time or two. I did purchase an extended warranty with my Silverado when I bought it new as I know nothing about diesel engines and that was the biggest reason.
  5. drtyprior

drtyprior New Member

I bought the extended warranty... The 5 mile/100,000 limited warranty is on your powertrain, not bumper to bumper, which is actually only 3 years/36,000 miles. The Major Guard plan doubles that giving you 6yrs/72,000 miles bumper to bumper coverage. I called my dad the day I was buying the truck and he said since I planned on taking it into some rough terrain a lot (I hope to start offroading with it as soon as possible) it was probably a good idea to get it.

So I guess my suggestion to you would be to look at how you plan on using your truck: if you think it has any possibility of getting damaged during some risky stuff, you might want to think about keeping the plan.

Another tip: for the $200 deductible, it brought like 600 bucks off my warranty. Most of the parts covered are dealing in the thousands, so I think it was well worth it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Major Guard plan gives you roadside assistance and rentals if your truck is in the shop for a full 6 years.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 New Member

Thanks for all your answers it is really appreciated. I am still trying to decide if I am going to keep it or not. I have no real plans of going offroading or doing anything drastic. Again Thanks..
  7. TahoeFever

TahoeFever New Member

I have this coverage also ..plain and simple ....

keep in mind this was all done at a dealership

new transmission due to bad shifting . $ 4500
    new differential seal front - 300
    new front wheel bearing both sides $140 /each + labor
    new rear axle -Dont ask lol $2800
    hvac door actuator passenger side 75 +labor

so far grand total 7955 not including labor hours ...

paying NOTHING but a $100 deductable....Priceless

its a good thing to have :)
  8. sweetjones04

sweetjones04 New Member

Thanks for helping me make my final decision :lol: